Gig Posters

Posters: 155619 | Bands: 135529 | Designers: 11506                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Skool me Americanskis

I'm writing a column for SP mag on election signs, I need to know some answers pulease. Seeing as you guys are so politically saavy...

President is every 4 years, I have figured that out.

but in your town (or city, or wherever) what other elections are going on for what positions?

Do local, state, and federal elections happen on the same day, every 2 or 4 years? which are on which years?

And is everyone either Democrat or Republican, or are there independents at different levels

Do people still use lots of signs? (do you think they are screenprinted?)

Are all the signs you see the same, or do they look like they are locally produced - vary from 'party' logotype/layout

When do people start putting up signs (here it is only 30 days prior)

Do places have elections on days other than Nov date?
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

I found this

-loco
    Last edited by loco; 12-01-2007 at 08:18 PM.

CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO
    what other elections are going on for what positions?
    mayor, sheriff, city council, board of supervisors, district attorney, school board, state propositions, local props

Do local, state, and federal elections happen on the same day?..
    same day, but not same date (like "the first tuesday" not "the 5th")

And is everyone either Democrat?....
    greens are pretty strong here

Do people still use lots of signs?....
    yes, but... SF has many ordinances against public sign posting. people put them in their apartment windows (remember there are no yards here)

vary from 'party' logotype/layout?
    they seem to be varied, but within the limits of: two colors plus white or two colors plus black.
    The plastic cardboard is popular (plastic, but thick, with a corrugated plastic interior). Those are screened.
    Can't speak for the paper signs.
    There are also a few "collector" political signs. The Firehouse did a couple of different day-glo screens for a Green mayoral candidate's events.
    http://www.gigposters.com/poster/240..._Gonzalez.html

When do people start putting up signs?
    can't remember. i work at city hall. it all blurs. sorry.

full time occupation in California. next year there are three elections- spring, summer, fall. usually just two, though.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by richeditor View Post
    full time occupation in California. next year there are three elections- spring, summer, fall. usually just two, though.
    Every year? For what?, is this just in California or in other states too?

Thanks for the answers boys.

This is very different than up here.

another question - as states have primaries, is there a lot of visable (signage) leading up to the primary?
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Here we have Government Elections every 4 years (representatives from regions) to make dumb decisions and laws, and local council elections (boroughs within regions) to elect the next dumbfuck mayor every 4 years as well, Local council elections are generally staggered the year following a Government election.

I'd say 90% of the signs are screenprinted, the remainder being Digital prints, or some stinkfoot hand painted ones, all on 3, 4, 5mm Corflute.

All of them get vandalised by the local kids for the entire month thay are on display, I think a bunch of gnomes come out at midnight and fix everything up so there is a fresh visual assault of cheesy smiles and "vote for me" shit to gawk at should I decide to commute.

When I was 17 or so, I got fired from a job, we were printing election signs and had this one large one propped up against the wall where "We'd" drawn a Swashstika on her forehead, barbed wire around her throat, a speech bubble with "fuck you slaves" written inside, "Bitch" was written somewhere else. Anyway.... This Woman decided to just drop in to see how her job was going. Man did she completely flip out, completely, WOW. I took the wrap for that one.

I hate those election signs.

Comments

%50 down, balance due on delivery.

Local elections are totally random and vary by county and even city.
    Some are two years, some are four.

Lot of work out there, some of it is high-end. 4 color process on coro? That's nuts.

%90 of the work in Northern California comes out of one shop in Southern California who's name escapes me though it's on every sign they print. They advertise as using union labor but sub out to shops that obviously aren't or maybe have one or two union employees.

I'm waiting for the day a local politician does something stupid enough to piss me off. You don't eff with the guy who can effortlessly print thousands of signs. In day-glo orange.

Comments

I'm writing a column for SP mag on election signs, I need to know some answers pulease. Seeing as you guys are so politically saavy...

President is every 4 years, I have figured that out.

but in your town (or city, or wherever) what other elections are going on for what positions?

various positions, and also various measures and such for the public to vote on here (in seattle) a large amount of signs are for "Vote No on Prop. 142" or "Vote Yes For Viaduct" kinda deals.

Do local, state, and federal elections happen on the same day, every 2 or 4 years? which are on which years?

Varies, different senate seats come opened at different times. Different mayorial races at different times.

And is everyone either Democrat or Republican, or are there independents at different levels

As was said, you can be dem republican, libritarian, green, etc etc. Your party affiliation limits your vote in the Primaries.

Do people still use lots of signs? (do you think they are screenprinted?)

Tons here, most look screen printed

Are all the signs you see the same, or do they look like they are locally produced - vary from 'party' logotype/layout

Sounds like you are talking specifically Presidential here. They all look like they are part of the same campaign, although i have seen a bunch of Ron Paul signs that look like they are one-offs, or at the very least locally produced and not provided for or approved by his Campaign.

When do people start putting up signs (here it is only 30 days prior)

If there is a set in stone rule i have no idea, but its well well well prior to 30days. There are Ron Paul signs up for the pres election that i saw here in the middle of the summer. For all the local races that we just voted on there where signs and banners out at least 6 months in front of the elections.

In seattle there are some measures and propositions that seem to go up for elections at random times. There are signs for these.

Always two elections- primary and general.
    You get the occasional third election for a presidential primary or the recalling of a governor.

Comments

I'm confused..
    .. so.. you guys don't have a Prime Minister?

Banned
    Comments

We have an emperor.

Emperor Bush.

E