Gig Posters

Posters: 156388 | Bands: 135996 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default how to restretch massive frames?

I just scored some massive (36"x45") used aluminum frames that need new mesh. Now I'm trying to figure out how to restretch them. I don't think I have anyone locally who does it. Any advice how to do it on the cheap?

I've already read the thread about getting a Newman roller frame but it seems difficult.

Comments

For metal frames you're gonna have to spring for the screen glue. When professions do it they have pnematic stretchers that pull the screen tight before gluing. Your gonna have to come up with some way stretching the screen (on a bigger frame) first then lay the new screen inside.
    Where are you? There's got to be a place near you. These aren't that big.

I'm in North Mississippi (the sticks). Maybe there is a place in Memphis that can do it. Do you think I should stay away from getting a Newman roller frame and trying to re-stretch them myself? Thanks.

Comments

You should be able to find a place with a stretching table that big. Might cost you for the mesh and time, but stretching them yourself is not a good option.

Premium Member

Comments

the Newman thing works, you will have no less a learning curve on the technique than if you tried pneumatic bars or any other method.

Another 'cheap way', not as good, is to build a wood frame slightly larger, lay the mesh out on it and attach as tight as you can get it (staples, or 4 lengths of wood you screw to the frame pinching the mesh between.

then put this over your metal frame and then weight it (the wood frame) down, forcing the mesh to stretch tighter over the metal frame. then glue.
    they will still be as baggy as your granny's panty hose

Find somebody local who stretches. You can look for printers on SGIA.org or dealers. taht or the newman frame. You can find them cheap on screenweb.com sometimes.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.