Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135325 | Designers: 11495                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default First Poster Print Kill me now. Please

We didn't have too much trouble printing shirts. Even using discharge ink and a heat gun. I read the books and the forums here on GP and everyone seemed to be indicating that posters were even easier. I guess anything is easy when you know what you're doing.

But we don't.

Freddy built a poster press from Andymac's plans. We didn't completely finish it since we couldn't seem to find the carriage bolts, but we will. Soon. It worked well and held the paper great. But the other equipment was not so good.

To start with...bad squeegee. We didn't notice until we had ruined about 150 sheets of paper, but the one we got had a big dip in one side of it. Note to self: Always check squeegees for straightness.

Even though I've been doing graphics for longer than I care to admit and really, really know better, I still managed to go insane and design a poster that was almost impossible to register. I still can't believe it. Note to self: Don't forget everything you know.

Bad Registration:

We had clamps that would loosen up and let the screen shift, even when tightened with pliers. We ruined even more paper.

Bad Clamps:

Good Clamps:

We couldn't figure out what we were doing wrong here:

I called a friend and he said it might be too much off-contact. Or maybe the ink was too thick. I still don't know. But we tried fixing both and it helped. We had less trouble with the black ink.

I was glad I bought 250 sheets of paper (Cougar 100 lb) to try to get around 100 prints. We needed them. It took us 2 weekends of frustration to get about 80-90 posters done. Only about a 3rd of those are registered really well. I'm only selling the good ones, by the way. lol.

But we took them to the Misfits show and they were a hit with all. Jerry Only liked them a lot and signed a few for us.

But if anyone has any advice or helpful suggestions for us, it would be much appreciated. We can't wait to do the next one.
    What is to give light must endure burning.

Lookee here:

Deaths Head Designs
    Gigposters.com posters

Premium Member

Comments

get out now while you still have your sanity. or just keep on learning it's all trial/error/error/error

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by JayJaySerious View Post
    I still managed to go insane and design a poster that was almost impossible to register. I still can't believe it.
    I do this a lot too. I am learning to make it simple.

Premium Member

Comments

cheers for sharing - I swear a lot when printing about 30-40% of my screens, the others are a dream and a pleasure - but I can empathise wholeheartedly

see your penultimate shot there with the ink smearing over the text...

this happens to me from time to time - but much less often than it used to...
    if I can, I put small detail like that at the top of the screen (so in your case, print the red screen up the other way, 180degrees) - not sure why, but along with varying squeegee angles and pressure, very light flooding etc, it seems to help.

Comments

Look like your mesh is too open. What mesh count are you using?

Might try not flooding, but make sure you work quick.

Another thing is maybe do the separations letting the black over print the red.

It could also be that your ink is too thin.

Are the first prints fine and it get's worse as you keep going?

-loco
    Last edited by loco; 11-06-2007 at 07:35 PM.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

squeegee not hard enough

stencil to close to edge of frame

mesh count to low

Comments

or the screen mesh is too loose and saggy.

Comments

yeah, how many times are you flooding? if more than once that could be it. or any of the above.

Premium Member

Comments

That big reverse that close to the bottom edge is always going to be trouble.

Wants to be 230-250 mesh

Be really aware of your print angle and flood and amount of ink, and where the puddle is at the bottom of the stroke - if it gets back on the stencil image before you flood you are screwed. it only take one print sequence to screw it up and get the ink underneath.

If it happens (bleeding) print off on scrap without flooding.

You just have to keep printing. You will have better luck printing areas that aren't big reverses, at least starting.

but fuck it, you did it, what's next?

- I think there are some 'register' threads in the archives - controlling registration is a lot more than a set of clamps.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

I'm going to guess that since you're used to t-shirts, you're using your t-shirt screens.

This is where your problems begin and end. That 10XX stuff or whatever you use for your shirts ain't gonna fly here.
    Shizouka!

Brg!

"I don't know shit about screenprinting and can still tell all the questions you ask are retarded." -Blonde
    I can't imagine being in this position and saying to myself "Hey! I bet the people at Gigposters will be helpful!". -Phoon