Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135201 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 6-color tshirt press for posters??

Hi. I'm very close to purchasing a 6-color tshirt press. I'd like to use it for printing both tshirts and posters. I've read in a couple other threads that some of you also use tshirt presses for printing posters. So, I'm hoping this will work for me. But, I'd love any input or opinions before making my purchase. Specifically, I'm wondering if there is any reason not to go with a 6-color press? I'm a bit worried about ink drying too quickly. Would any of you recommend a 4-color press instead?? Thanks.

Comments

T-shirt printing and poster printing use different types of ink.

The common way to print t-shirts is with plastisol (needs to be dried at 300 - 340 degrees) ink. You need flash a dryer and a count-o-veyor dryer, well at least a flash dryer to get started but it's very limited in what you can print.

Most poster that are screen printed are printed with air dry ink. This way all you really need is a rack or some way to lay them out so they can dry.

I have a 8 color t-shirt press that I use to screen print posters and stickers. It will work but you do the same type of thing but artwork layout and the way you dry is different

-loco

Comments

You can't print posters wet on wet, like shirts, so it really doesn't matter.

I used to print posters on a T-Shirt press. I had an extra large platen that I used and printed one color at a time using one head. Then I set up the next color on the same head and printed the entire run of the next color. And repeat until all the colors have been printed and the posters are finished.

If you're also gonna be printing shirts...then simple math says 6 is 2 more than 4...so you'll be able to print 6 colors on each shirt rather than 4.

I'd just be building a handbench for posters.

Find a sturdy flat topped table, box up the underside of it so it'll create an airtight seal with a hole to accept a vacuum hose, drill a bunch of tiny holes in the topside so your vacuum will create suction, bolt a couple of screen clamps to the back edge and voila, a poster printing table.

You're going to need a table to load your shirts on anyway. Besides, you're likely to only print one colour at a time.

A google search should turn up some pics and plans of a simple handbench, I built mine in a day, and most of that was drilling 400 holes in the top.

Comments

Richie getting all math on us now that he's a model.

But yeah, you have to print each color then rack for posters and you can print all the color on the t-shirt (you kind of have to) then run them through the dryer. Just for the record Richie is one of the best when it come to t-shirts.

-loco

Premium Member

Comments

You can use your carousel to print posters but you need:

1) To create a custom pallet for the large format papers.

2) Be sure that the custom pallet is really stable.

I don't know your budget but Vastex has a pallet with holes for the vacuum, that you can mount on the carousel.

In my opinion, a machine is best if it's projected to do only one job. Multi roules machines generally sux.

bye,
    F.

Thanks for your replies!

One more general question about screenprinting. Can someone please explain the purpose of having more than one printing station on a carousel press? Is it so that more than one person can work the press?? So I guess if I'm just one guy, I'd never need more than one printing station on my press? Thanks.

Comments

Go to a print shop and watch someone print. I started typing out the explanation and maybe somebody else will, but it's probably something you should actually see to understand. It's really simple.

Comments

When printing t-shirts, the t-shirt pallet (where you put the t-shirt while it is being printed) is sprayed with adhesive and all the colors are printed while the t-shirt is on the pallet. Then when you are finished you pull off the t-shirt and run it through a dryer. So if you have a 6 color print you have to have a 6 color t-shirt press.

-loco

Yes, I understand about the six arms of the press printing 6 different colors. I'm talking about the pallets. For example, you might have a six color press with only one work station (one pallet). Or, you could have a 6-color press with 2 pallets (2 stations) and so on.

Do you get my question now?? I want to know how/why one guy would use the 2nd pallet of a 2-station press?
    Last edited by popart; 11-04-2007 at 09:23 PM.