Gig Posters

Posters: 155619 | Bands: 135529 | Designers: 11506                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Registration... it makes me crazy

In the last few weeks I began to rebuild my print studio (from scratch). I have always have a ton of trouble with Registration! We thought about building the vacuum table, but decided to wait a bit first.
    So... I would love to hear some of your techniques to ensure good registration with poster printing. That includes burning the screens, lining up the various screens in the clamps or anything...

Thanks so much for you input.

Comments

Registration is easy if you're consistant. You need to figure out what's limiting your consistancy and tackle that. Go step by step through each bit of the process and normalize them so you have some control. Anything can fuck your reg up i.e. loose mesh, loose clamps, loose women.

Premium Member

Comments

loose women wreck my prints every time
    ♥ Ben
    benswift.com - nonoart.com - eyeskull.com - me on facebook
    "ben swift hates fun." - Robbie Fuct
    "ben is hella white" - mrblonde

Premium Member

Comments

we take blue painters tape, and layer it over and over, until it is about as thick as your paper (4 thick is about 100# cougar for us.)

do a 3 point system, two tabs at the base, and one on the right side, about 4 inches from the bottom of the paper.

For the first color, before applying the tabs to the table, put a sheet of mylar or acetate down (found at any art supply store) and tape the edges of the mylar/acetate to the table in a few secure spots.

Pull your first print onto the mylar/acetate, and then put your piece of paper under the mylar/acetate to get placement on the page.

Once you have the placement correct, turn the vacuum on or hold the paper to the table so it doesn't move. Move the mylar out of the way slightly, but don't take it off the table yet. Butt up the tabs to the edge of the paper, and make sure they are flush with the paper edge.

Once the three tabs are secure, check to see if the paper is still where you want it by setting the mylar back down. if that is correct, proceed with your run.

Repeat steps for multiple colors.

done.
    The Half and Half
    Now Selling Speedball Ink for all your East Coasters.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Wilson View Post
    we take blue painters tape, and layer it over and over, until it is about as thick as your paper (4 thick is about 100# cougar for us.)

do a 3 point system, two tabs at the base, and one on the right side, about 4 inches from the bottom of the paper.

For the first color, before applying the tabs to the table, put a sheet of mylar or acetate down (found at any art supply store) and tape the edges of the mylar/acetate to the table in a few secure spots.

Pull your first print onto the mylar/acetate, and then put your piece of paper under the mylar/acetate to get placement on the page.

Once you have the placement correct, turn the vacuum on or hold the paper to the table so it doesn't move. Move the mylar out of the way slightly, but don't take it off the table yet. Butt up the tabs to the edge of the paper, and make sure they are flush with the paper edge.

Once the three tabs are secure, check to see if the paper is still where you want it by setting the mylar back down. if that is correct, proceed with your run.

Repeat steps for multiple colors.

done.

Thats how i doe sit tooo

Comments

^^^ same here

WOW, Mr. Wilson, THANKS! That was thorough! However, I'm having a bit of trouble picturing the tabs and the whole set up. Does anyone have pictures or know where I can find some. YouTube has video, but it's all t-shirts.
    thanks again.

Premium Member

Comments

l
    l
    l
    l
    x l________________________________
    x x

put your tabs where the x's are

use the same corner location and side on each color (mark your register sheet)

your print direction should be the same for each color

your film should line up before you make screens

your stencils should be the same as your film

clamps tight

if your screen can overhang the front of your table, get 2 c clamps and 2 blocks of wood and clamp them tight to each side of your frame, that will stop the flex.

most important - put the paper in the tabs securely and the same each time. You can have everything tight and perfect, if you don't set it next to your tabs securely and consnstently you will never maintain register.

I stick 3 layers of sticker material together, then cut into smaller squares. peel the backing, stick in place - quick and easy

i think there was a major post on this
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

that diagram didn´t work sorry, this is a spanish keyboard

2 tabs in a corner, one more near the end of one the long side

esentailly lines up the side with a stop at one end
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Something also important is to have paper cut with a stomper so they're all the same size...it'll screw up your registrato