Gig Posters

Posters: 156034 | Bands: 135785 | Designers: 11529                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Nazdar Clear Enamel Gloss

So I just ran a screen o' that stuff. I believe it's NazDar 59000 clear gloss enamel.

Questions!

1. It sucked. It was pretty much like printing with melted caramel. After 40 prints my wrists were KILLING ME. was I supposed to thin it down? With what?

2. Did I totally destroy that screen? It's not really washing out very nicely with the garden hose; I'll attack it with the pressure washer tomorrow, but it was turning to a solid prety fast. Normal?

3. It smelled REALLY good. And had warnings all over the can. How many years did I take off my life?

All in all, I don't think I'll use it again. Maybe with a really low-mesh screen if I'm feeling saucy. Anybody else ever try this stuff? What happened?

Comments

1. dunno

2. enamel in general, wether it be in a spray can or a bottle, it dries pretty quickly. I reckon that water doesn't do much to enamel, i'd remove it as quickly as possible.

3. it does smell good, you might get a headache, but unless you inhale for a really long time, it won't shorten your life or affect. try to air out that room for an hour or so. The smell lasts quite a bit of time.

edit:
    if you pressure wash it tomorrow... at least let it soak in water instead of dry in the air

Comments

You can thin it down with paint thinner (Minerial spirits)

What mesh count are you using?

-loco

Comments

High mesh. 300+

I don't really have any place to soak it; I'll have to take it to the car wash and see if I can blow it out. (Not even gonna bother with my pressure washer)

Yeah, this kinda sucked. And now the client just killed the poster, so that's nice.

Comments

Part of your problem is that you printed with such a fine screen.
    We use quite a lot of the enamel clear 59000 series.
    Generally it takes 24 hrs to fully cure, but if you print with a super open mesh (say 76) it'll take longer. We never print with finer mesh than 230. Most of the time 195 and 156 mesh. It can be thinned down with paint thinner but Nazdar makes some thinners that work better. Enamel cleans up with paint thinner, lots of it. Try cleaning your screens on top of a glass or metal topped table. This way the solvent is just sitting there activating the ink, not just running down the drain. Then when you think you have it all off swith to a screen cleaner and then water. You didn't hurt yourself by using it. Generally you should work wih good ventilation at all times. Even WB inks require some ventilation. I really like the finish it provides. You get a nice high gloss if you're printing on top of already printed colors. On raw paper it sinks into the fibers and kills the shine.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I'd wear a respirator and some gloves when cleaning and be mindful to not let the enamel get in your cuticles or any cuts and stuff.

Premium Member

Comments

Use laquer thinner (lots) and a couple of absorbant rags. You should be able to get it all off before you go to washout. Water on solvent ink will just freeze it. there are citrus cleaners that will turn solvent inks to somethng that can be cleaned with water.

A trick that works good for all inks before cleanup and cuts your cleaning time way down....

Tape out before the run so the edges of the squeegee run on tape.
    Tape out a spot at the end of your print stroke so the ink can rest there (usually a few tape widths from the gutter in towards the image. Tape a spot at the other end where you start, so the ink puddle can rest ther too.

On your last print, when everything is done, put scrap papaer under the screen, and using the squeegee flood on time really thick - do this by putting no pressure on during the flood. bring all your side ink in to the centre with the squeegee.
    Wait about 10 seconds

Pull your last print and end up with your ink puddle on the tape. DON'T FLOOD. The thick flood should have loosened any other ink on the stencil, last pull will scrape it clean, and the side tape will only have a small amount of ink, but on the tape.

Carefully scrape up the loose ink.

Peel the tape.

You will have minimum ink to clean from the screen before reclaiming.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Andy: That was awesome.