Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135967 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default OS 10 & Photoshop image opening preferences? halp!

OK smarties, so here is a seemingly rudimentary problem that i'm having and i can't seem to solve.

last weekend, this computer had a major meltdown and had no data loss, but the OS wasn't happy and i had to run Disk Warrior, reinstall the OS, blah blah blah. it's a first gen G5, running OS 10.4.10. there have been a couple of hinkey things to reinstall (drivers, some apps) and a few preferences got toasted. one of them is driving me bonkers.

whenever i try to open a .jpg or .gif in PS it's a real pain in the ass. the below used to work without thinking for years...so apparently having an image like:

1. open when i drag it to the PS icon in the doc.

2. open when i double-click on the thumb-image.

3. open with right-click>open with>PS

are preferences???

the above no longer open the image IN PS, they just open Photoshop. grrr.

so, since that crash, to open an image, i have to open Photoshop and then find the image with "open" for it to open and it's making me nuts.

anyone know how to set the preferences so that when you ask PS to open an image in the above 3 ways...it flippin' opens? it's so rudimentary, i know it is. i've never had to configure that before & i can't seem to find the magic spell setting.

Comments

When you reinstalled the OS did it save your previous system folder?

Comments

arggh. i don't know. craig did most of the reinstalls. but i am thinking no since so much stuff is wacked and had to be re-put together. i'll have to ask him.

it's awesome, .psds also have to be opened from PS. it's not a major thing, just really really annoying since i've been used to the open-short cuts since i've been using computer machines.

Comments

its definitely a preferences thing. On your hard drive you should see System Folder and then System Folder (previous system) or something of that nature.

If those are there you are in business as you need to copy some files from the old system folder over to the new one. If not, download appzapper, uninstall photoshop and re install it (if thats an option).

Comments

i'd shy away from dragging things from your old system folder, since that's the very thing that was corrupt in the first place.
    definitely try deleting photoshop and all its preferences (look in application support and other libraries).
    reinstall photoshop and your scanner drivers. that should take care of it. if not, then i'd say you still have os issues.

Comments

ok cool. thanks so far fellas. i see some stuff, but i hear what you are saying casey. i think this might be something for craig to look at and decide since it sounds....serious and and i don't do IT like he does.

i'm mostly just super happy not to have lost this machine and i don't want to break it. that was some scary stuff this weekend.

Comments

its a known issue when installing or reinstalling an os over top of photoshop. happened to me a year or two ago. you need to copy over some of the support files from your old OS folder.

Hold on, lemme find the adobe support page for it.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty! View Post
    its a known issue when installing or reinstalling an os over top of photoshop. happened to me a year or two ago. you need to copy over some of the support files from your old OS folder.

Hold on, lemme find the adobe support page for it.
    man, is it? with updating OSs i hadn't run into this yet. thank you.