Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135806 | Designers: 11531                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Default API/Flatstock 13 Questions

First off, I apologize for posting here but I can't start a thread or reply to existing threads on the API site for some reason. I thought my membership is up to date so who knows.

ANyway, my question is about the single/double booth registration. We are restricted to a single 10x10 booth unless their is enough space available and then double booths will be released on a first come first serve basis.

How was this format decided as opposed to first come first serve? Was it ever presented to the API membership body or was this decided by the board?

Based on my personal experience, being limited to a 10'x10' space pretty much nullifies my ability to cover the expenses involved with doing these shows. It simply is not enough space to display enough of a variety of my catalog, especially at an event with such a wide-ranging audience.

So, I guess I can register now and say I want a double booth when/if they become available in two weeks (assuming that deadline is firm) and hope they become available and if not I can cancel my single booth and hope that the API so deems that I am due my full registration refund minus $20. Not to mention having to deal with planning travel and buying a plane ticket now as opposed to two weeks from now.

Maybe this issue is unique to me and if that is the case then I guess it doesn't really matter.

Personally, I think we should be able to purchase double booths from the get-go .
    Last edited by lil_tuffy; 05-23-2007 at 07:32 PM.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

It was the same way in Seattle last year (I think)- no double booths unless space allowed.
    Good Ideas thru Bad Living™

Asshole for the People™

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by perkins View Post
    It was the same way in Seattle last year (I think)- no double booths unless space allowed.
    Yeah. And I was bummed about after I registered for a triple booth and then was told after the fact that we were being limited to one. Based on that experience, vegoose and other non-api shows, I know that being limited to 10'x10' is not worth my time and money.

Comments

This was based on Seattle. We opened up doubles right away and essentially oversold immediately. The "outcry" was reduce booths to singles and give the most people a booth as possible. That caused a giant admin headache in refunding those who paid for Doubles.

Instead of running into that again we are offering singles until a specified date and if Chicago is not sold out then doubles will be offered to those who requested them in the first round of registration. Admin for notifying a handful of folks and collecting for the balance of a double is cleaner vs. refunding if we oversold.

Remember the original intent of API is to give everyone an equal footing.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I guess I'll roll the dice.
    Last edited by lil_tuffy; 05-23-2007 at 07:31 PM.

Comments

All the API does is screw the little guy. Fight the power, Tuffy.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by lil_tuffy View Post
    I know that being limited to 10'x10' is not worth my time and money.
    That's a great point to make to organizers like Bumbershoot that keep wanting to raise booth prices. My opinion is that we're at the ceiling when it comes to what we can pay for booths and still have a chance at making a profit...not to mention covering the cost of the trip. If booth costs can stay down, 10 x 10 isn't so bad.
    Good Ideas thru Bad Living™

Asshole for the People™

Comments

Go ahead and register and request 2 booths. I don't think we will sell out. If we do you can cancel the single.

Comments

Is anyone opposed to me purchasing ALL of the booths and putting on the worlds largest bake sale?

Comments

For everyone else, maybe EMAILING anyone on the board with questions re: API/Flatstock would work too.

No offense Tuf. Did you get the email? If you did, you're a registered API member, don't know why you can't post threads on the API site...please PM or email me if you got questions.