Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135519 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Cool Freehand Paste Inside Vs. Illustrator Clipping mask

When I paste inside an object in Freehand it keeps the color of the object that I pasted into. That's cool.

But when I make a clipping path in illustrator, the color of the clipping path disappears.

Is there anyway in Illustrator to keep the color of the clipping path from disappearing? It's just a pain to keep recoloring all those clipping paths every time I make a mask.

Comments

Beats me.

I guess Ritchie knows. I always select the path and color it by use of the white arrow.

Comments

Yes there is a way.
    What you need to do is:

Take the object you want to make a clipping mask of, and send it to the back.

Now, draw the shape that you want the final artwork to be and place it on top, make it have no fill and no stroke, grab both items and command 7, clipping path, or object>clippin path>make.

Wa La

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by JoshPodolske View Post
    Yes there is a way.
    What you need to do is:

Take the object you want to make a clipping mask of, and send it to the back.

Now, draw the shape that you want the final artwork to be and place it on top, make it have no fill and no stroke, grab both items and command 7, clipping path, or object>clippin path>make.

Wa La
    But what I think he's saying is, he wants the mask to then have a stroke.

What I do is, select the path I intend to use for a mask, [command] + "C" (copy), [command] + "F" (paste in front), [command] + "2" which locks the front most copy of the path. Select the path, which selects the original path behind the locked path, together with the art I wish to mask (which must, of course, be behind the clipping path). Then [command] + "7" which makes the mask/clipping-path. Then [command] + [option] + "2" which unlocks the colored path in front, but is in the exact position of the invisible clipping path. Then I grab them all, colored path, clipping path, and art that is masked, and group them, move them to their own layer.

Maybe it sounds a little complicated, but I do it often enough, I don't have to think about it too much. I haven't use Freehand in... a decade, at least. I can see the logic in doing it the other way. It just seems like the clipping path fuctionally serves a different purpose than a line, so it's never bothered me.
    Last edited by Chris G; 01-29-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Comments

Well, I know how to make a clipping mask. BUT, what i want to know is how do I preserve the fill color of the clipping path. When you make a clipping mask the attributes of the actual path that's doing the clipping are lost.

I'm just wondering if there's a setting to preserve these attributes.

In freehand when you paste inside something, it keeps the fill color of the object the you are pasting into. It just much more user friendly that way.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by NeuroGanda View Post
    Well, I know how to make a clipping mask. BUT, what i want to know is how do I preserve the fill color of the clipping path. When you make a clipping mask the attributes of the actual path that's doing the clipping are lost.

In freehand when you paste inside something, it keeps the fill color of the object the you are pasting into. It just much more user friendly that way.

No. To my knowledge there is no setting.

Hold on a second. I thought you wanted to preserve the stroke color– have the path that you clip with remain a colored line. But you wrote:

what i want to know is how do I preserve the fill color of the clipping path.
    So you want it to stay a colored fill?

Then you want the fill color to fill in behind the art that you're masking?

Just place a filled object, it can even just be a box, that is larger than your clipping area behind your art, and include it is the selection that you clip.

If that's too slopy, and you want to keep it nice and clean, then use the instructions I gave above, but instead of pasting in front, past behind [command] + "b", then send to back [command] + [shift] + "[", to place it behind the art you intend to mask. then convert the path in front to the clipping path. Then colored fill in the back will align pefectly in the shape of your clipping path.

Comments

Hmmm, oh well. I guess there's not a way as easy as freehand does it.

I know InDesign has a "paste into" function that does it almost exactly like freehand. I just wish illustrator had it too.

Thanks everybody.

Premium Member

Comments

It's such a rote procedure, if you do it often enough it doesn't seem like as much work as it sounds- just a few quick keys in a row. If you don't know all the keys, I guess it would be a slow and laborious pain in the ass to do each step from the pull down menus. But you should be able to create an action script for it in a snap. Then it's just one key click. Is that easy enough?

Comments

The nature of a clipping path is that it HAS no fill or stroke (if you filled it, you wouldn't be clipping anymore), it affects the print boundry of a placed image.

Copy the path, make new layer, fill/stroke away.

Use the Direct Selection tool (or "White Arrow") to select points in the clip, or the placed image in the clipping path/image group.

Clipping paths with attributes can cause problems when send to some postscript devices (actually, older RIPS like the one often used with Doc12s won't even print the EPS when a clip has a stroke on it) and can cause your printer major headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by NeuroGanda View Post

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    it would be a slow and laborious pain in the ass to do each step from the pull down menus.
    Anyone who depends on pull-down menus should RTFM first, then post to the forums.