I started a thread a few days ago but it magically disappeared. I had a few newbie type questions re: Flatstock in Austin and figured this might be a good place for people to help answer as well as make fun of me.
1) Is sales tax charged?
2) If a artist has a poster on their website, do they charge more or less for it at flatstock?
3) Is it inappropriate to ask an artist to do a quick sketch/doodle on a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper or on the poster? Certainly not expecting an 8 color piece, just a quick black and white doodle
1. the artists have to file salestaxes with texas after the fact. same with all the flatstocks. ive always just bit the cost later rather than deal with salestax at the tables. $_0 and $_5 prices are our friends.
2. its entirely up to the artist. new stuff seems to be about the same price, but older and sold-out prints tend to make appearances for elevated prices.
3. lots of people get asked for doodles. nobody really seems to mind as far as ive seen, just dont ask if theres 6 people behind you. whenever people asked me, i asked them to leave me the pad and come back in 15 minutes or so. usually worked well.