Gig Posters

Posters: 155690 | Bands: 135552 | Designers: 11510                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Hello all-

I am a new member of this site and a novice to the world of concert posters.Without any silk screening equipment myself, and no real client base, I don't know where to start. I have a few important questions; Can I sell a poster without the band's permission? Do they own any art with their name or image on it? It seems like a lot of designers create a poster for a band that they like and just sell it on there own. When I did posters for The Tragically Hip, I created the designs and sold them the art. They did all the printing and selling. The posters were laser printed - I would have preferred to have them screen printed. I have many finished poster designs for lots of bands that I would like to get out in the hands of fans. I'm afraid to post them on this site since they haven't yet been printed.
    Are laser copies or ink jet posters considered acceptable?
    What is a normal size print run?
    What can I expect to pay if I have someonelse silkscreen a poster for me?
    What is an average selling price for a poster? I could go on and on.
    Anyway, your advice and help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Will Ruocco

Comments

Hey man. Darren grealish here. Generally there are 2 ways to do posters. 1). Call or email venues in you area and/or all over the US and Europe. Tell em' your a poster artist and you design posters for bands and you'd like to do a poster for a show coming up at their venue. Ask them if they are interested in you doing a design/poster and tell em' you'll give them like 30-40 for free! Not a dime comes out of their pocket. They can hang up all the posters in the club for promotion or whatever. All you need is a verbal agreemant from a band on the bill or from the venue. Then you go get digital (Xerox Docucolor) prints made. I get charged $1.25 ea. You keep like 50-75 for yourself and sell em' on your website for like $20.
    The prints look amazing. 2). If you actually can get in contact with the actual bands or people who manage them, try and see if they need a tour poster that they can sell as merch on the road. Get 50% up front and that will pay for the silkscreening. They get like 200 posters and tell them you'll keep like 100 for you to sell. Make sure to tell them that it's a limited print run edition and you won't be making money off the band name for years. Silkscreening every job is costly and time consuming. Any more questions email me. I hope this helps you. Cheers!
    Darren Grealish

Premium Member

Comments

i dunno about wruocco, but it was of great interest to me Monoshocks. its always been hard to find venues wanting to pay for silkscreened posters, which is what i'm looking for. we can design and draw in our basements all day long, but unless there are people wanting to pay for our stuff, its for shit. so is life.
    tyler

Comments

uh oh! what about the integrity of the business! doing it for free!!!

Comments

thanks for that info......very helpful.

Premium Member

Comments

Hey Darren-

Thanks for the tips. They were really helpful. Most people give vague answers, but you gave specifics - very cool. I'm just not familiar with the digital (Xerox Docucolor) prints that you mentioned. Are they just like Canon Laser Color Copies. Can they be done at ...dare I say it...Kinkos?

If anybody can fill me in on the right to use a bands name - please let me know. Any more suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Will Ruocco