Gig Posters

Posters: 156255 | Bands: 135947 | Designers: 11547                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default design vs decoration

xxoo

Comments

Advertise... get the word out. Adorn... to lend beauty to. Decorate... embellish. To embellish... is that the point of this post? Let's clarify our language... are you saying design should be promotion in a pure form? Like "I pledge to advertise Man or Astroman as nothing more and nothing less than what I decide they are, visually... without decoration or embellishment" That leads to "interpretation" which often is viewed as "decoration" which is considered embellishment... and to make sure everyone remembers, everything is subjective.

Comments

maybe this was read and it didn't inspire a reply, or perhaps it got buried, if so sorry. if not heres a thought...

design vs. decoration. for so long it was 'ordertaker' then 'interpretor' then 'DTP-er' now 'problem solver' I always remember in the dark recesses of my noggin, the words of...Alvin Lustig.

I MAKE SOLUTIONS THAT NOBODY WANTS, TO PROBLEMS THAT DON'T EXIST.

meaning on what hand what we do constitiutes a real service to the world (the modern, technocratic first world sense) yet is meaningless (in the primordial Hunter gatherer third world sense) Quite a enigma. No wonder it attracts odd folks.

I just recieved a poster. A Shepard Fairey "THE CULT" poster. Upon seeing it i was moved, inspired, drunk, humbled, jealous, inspired, tickled, inspired (I KNOW) and happy. then...nothing. On to the next thing. It proudly sits in my collection.

It's this range of emotions that go thru all of us as producers AND consumers.

But...Shepards 'OBEY' campaign, i can't shake it. It is part of my vocabulary, it's intervened into my culture. it's societal, cultural, it's conceptual.

The former is decoration, the latter is design. both have voices and purpose and place.

i think we forget how much of what we do is not just 'what' but 'WHEN' and 'WHY' and a little 'how' thrown in to the mix, mostly for students and people still learning - or just curious

Comments

yea, we saw it Stevie....and ignored it.

Maybe really nobody gave a crap about your design school yammering.

Crawl back to your cubicle and post it with your other IDs, maybe it "transcend" the clutter here and someone will pay attention.

Comments

why isnt making a poster look cool important?

Comments

Harry-There seems to be a major difference to some of these guys between cool art and conceptally smart design. Sometimes a poster can be both, sometimes neither.

Design vs illo, design vs decoration. How about effective vs. non-efective? I saw some poster with a pretty bird on it and a band name posted on this site. This poster had no info but the band name and nothing else but a pretty bird picture, Totally ineffective. Totally lame, pretty but lame and some people here went ape over it. Go figure.

Comments

i think the bird picture was only ineffective cause there were no dates on it!as far as i'm concerned,the main reason for a gig poster is to advertise a goddam gig!once thats been established,the artist has,or should have an empty canvas to express him/herself any which way they please,of course,some bands or record companys may want it done in a certain way but at the end of the day,they've employed u to do the job because ur good at it and you have shown in the past that ur posters can look good and still serve a function,i.e letting people know who's playing where and when.
    As we have seen on this site,there are fliers that are just hand written in marker pen on a sheet of a4 paper,it still lets people know who's playing right?thats why we as poster artists exist,because we can make the posters look good as well and anyway,what the fuck is design if its not making something aesthetically pleasing?buggered if i know.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Harry Irene on 2002-03-31 08:43 ]</font>

Welcome to Hell, I'll be your tour guide...
    Comments

I think the idea was that the poster ya'll are talking about is a tour poster made so the venues could write in the info with a marker. However, I personally feel that unless it has some sort of tour info incorporated into the design, it isn't a gig poster.

Whenever we do tour posters for bands, we always include something like "SUMMER 2001" so at least we have some sort of info besides just the band name.

Comments

yea pm,ur not gonna believe me when i say this but i knew it was a tour poster and the dates needed to be added,i was just using it as an example to point out why its ineffective,other than that its pretty cool.i really don't understand why decoration as art puts it,isn't that important!

Welcome to Hell, I'll be your tour guide...
    Comments

If decoration wasn't important, it would be sufficient to output gig posters in Helvetica bold on plain white paper.

But what do I know? I'm just a merch gal.