Gig Posters

Posters: 156388 | Bands: 135997 | Designers: 11551                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default alternatives to mineral spirits that won't kill me

for years and years i've just used mineral spirits to clean up plastisol. up until now i've been working in makeshift studios (garage, attic) so i wasn't too concerned about all the fumes or my health and shit, but i just moved in a live/work studio and now my bedroom and kitchen are attached to where i'm printing. i've done enough damage to my health without breathing it in 24/7, so i'm trying to find alternatives to mineral spirits.

i've looked at franmar and they would be perfect except they're fucking expensive. i can't justify spending $30+$10 shipping for a gallon of their stuff when a gallon of mineral spirits is like $6 at walmart. is there anything out there that's not going to kill my braincells but doesn't cost an arm and a leg? bonus if i can just go to home depot and get it.

Comments

you can get a respirator or you can just leather up and go dumb with the rest of us.
    i used to use paint thinner until the nose bleeds got out of control, now mineral spirits are a luxury.

Premium Member
    Comments

ProChem 109 from Chemical Consultants . . . but it's not $6 a gallon, more like $20-$30, but I get a decent 100 screens cleaned with a gallon, so it's still pretty cheap. Cleans up everything from tape goo, to plastisol, to UV and solvent.

Comments

I use Mineral Ghosts or sometimes Mineral Poltergeists

Quote Originally Posted by r.kirby
    you can get a respirator or you can just leather up and go dumb with the rest of us.
    i used to use paint thinner until the nose bleeds got out of control, now mineral spirits are a luxury.
    i would but my new shop is like a live/work studio, i have one giant room that is my shop/office/kitchen and my bedroom is in the next room. i live there, i can't wear a respirator 24/7. i would just continue to suck it up but i've started to have health problems that i think are being caused by breathing in mineral spirits all the time. i just really need to switch to something less toxic now that i can't get away from it.

Premium Member

Comments

franmar chems are wonderful.
    expensive - yes
    but everything I have gotten from them has worked great!
    and they're really nice people....

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Pieper
    franmar chems are wonderful.
    expensive - yes
    but everything I have gotten from them has worked great!
    and they're really nice people....
    THIS IS YOUR ANSWER de-haze is just ok but all the other products are good and safe

Comments

Soy based solvents seem to clean up plastisol real nice but it leaves a little oily residue... I find it at a local art store.

http://www.danielsmith.com/catalog/p...06090616220266

Premium Member

Comments

And your health is worth how much?

Don't be penny-wise and health-foolish. Even I'm thinking about phasing out lacquer thinner... but the Fran-Mar stuff works pretty doggone good.
    "That's the way I like it, baby, I don't wanna live forever - and don't forget the Joker." Lemmy

anyone used the screen wash or soy screen wash from performance screen?

http://www.performancescreen.com/10pg11.html