Hey all, my first time post here. I have a question. Designers and illustrators included, what's your design process like. I guess I'm asking where to begin with creating the image. How to get ideas etc. etc. Just out of curiousity.
what i do is visualise what i want in my head,the composition,the shape,doesn't have to be detailed,do a quick thumbnail sketch before i forget it then build up from there,i do everything by hand piecing together the image like a jigsaw puzzle or a collage and tying it all together and making sure everything balances against everything else,if its wrong,i can see whats wrong and i can correct it (most of the time!)
Rich...man, that's hysterical!!! Photshop Filters! That's too good. Yeah just get a Photoshop WOW book, preferably from 1992, and go nuts with the filters. Fake Rubber Stamps are making a comeback, I'm sure of it. Everything needs a drop shadow, too.
If you find yourself at a point where the ideas aren't flowing, here are a few tips I use myself to get the creative juices flowing:
- Ask yourself, have I drop-shadowed enough type?
- Could this image use a lens flare?
- Can I turn anything upside down?
- Does this image need a monster? breasts? a car? flames? guns or swords?
- Would this be cool *inverted* ?
- Have I used more than 10 typefaces yet?
- Are at least 3 of the typefaces "zany"?
- Does this piece need a 1940s style shuckster clipart illustration?
- Should Bettie Page or Satan be involved?
- Could Calvin of Calvin & Hobbs be pissing on something?
- Will this appeal to the "rave" crowd?
- Will Ian MacKay approve?
- Is my name large enough?
- Have I stretched the typefaces so out of proportion they look ridiculous?
- Could QuarkXpress arrows spice this up?
- Have I used ALL of the colors available to mankind?
- Could this piece use a line of copy I've written about how lame people are if they don't attend the event?
- Have I made sure all of my imagery is taken from low resolution JPEGs and then enlarged and stretched to fit the page?
- Have I visually referenced the band name?
- Have I given the band the same poster I would give to their exact musical opposite?
- Have I used enough 3-D modeling software in this piece?
These help me, hope they help others.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 5Rock on 2002-03-29 188 ]</font>
Computer - my girlfriend's
Software - pirated
Sketch book - dusty
Coffee for me (Bustelo) & sleeping pills for her because I snore when I'm drinking
Being able to laugh at myself - impossible not to