Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135328 | Designers: 11495                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: edumacation...

Comments

i've been looking at art schools (figure the burn of my first experience has worn off by now), but they, for the most part, all feel very similar. it seems that although most have what sound to be pretty good, extensive programs, only a few i've come across seem to really gear the student up for the next stage, making a career out of what you've learned. so i was wondering, out of those who have gone, where did you go, and what do you think about the experience in retrospect? do you think it was necessary to go?

Comments

hey rock.

I went to Maryland Institute College of Art. I got my major in General Fine Arts, coz I didn't wanna limit myself too much (a major in graphic design or illustration didn't leave enough room for all the electives I wanted like Life Drawing, Letterpress, Studio Drawing Experimental Composition, etc.).

I took some design classes and got tons of encouragement and help from the head of the design dept., Ellen Lupton, who appreciated what I was doing. She let me take classes without prerequisites and stuff coz she figured I had what it took to take the classes, and since I wasn't a major it was easier to fudge that stuff.
    A lot of the teachers I had supported that I was doing something unlike a lot of the other kids (going out into the "real world" with my art while still in school, making a niche for myself with posters, illustrations, etc.). A lot didnt' though too.

MICA is a very traditional school. #1 painting dept. in teh country etc. etc. so the emphasis is on traditional mediums, though the design dept. has made huge gains in the past 4 years, esp. with the addition of Ms. Lupton as the dept. head. As for preparing you for the real world...I know the second half of senior year they really start to push that stuff, and even earlier on there are classes you can take about presenting yourself to prospective bosses etc.

I liked it and felt pretty good about going there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nolen Strals on 2002-03-25 10:20 ]</font>

I agree with Art. I learned more on the job then I ever did in school.

Comments

yeah, as much as school exposed me to, I learned more about design/composition/lettering etc. just from everything I absorbed growing up, and even still, outside of school.

My love for hand-lettering sure as hell didn't come from design classes, I got that from old horror comics and movie posters.

A room mate and I (at the time I was printing
    posters like one or two a week and he was making furnitre as his art) commented we shoulda saved ourselves some dough and just gone to a tech school since that was so much more in line with what we were doing.

Comments

this echoes my long-standing sentiments regarding school as well-it's a shitload of money, and you don't necessarily have as much control of your direction as you would have on your own. the appeal to me is someone challenging me, which is what i did like about my previous art school environment. and then there's that whole pedigree issue again. when i've tried to shop my portfolio around (because i want to also get paid during the lean times-i'm pretty sick at being at the poverty level) i get shot down due to my "lack" of education, even though i feel i know as much, if not more, than a lot of folks in this industry. so it becomes this dilemma. but it always excites me to hear when people, especially those whose work i respect, tell me they did it their way.

Comments

yeah, i haven't shopped my stuff around in a while, and it's a lot better now. but, at the time i tried, most places wouldn't even let me in that far. frustrating for sure. but again, i wasn't soliciting clients, i was soliciting full time employment. maybe it's different? i don't know. maybe it's time to try to solicit clients...

Comments

art,
    yeah underneath her exterior of the smart as a whip intellectual-point-of-view designer, she's a real softie... I remember when you spoke here she said that the only time she's ever seen you look embarrassed was when she told you she loved you..then she said it again as she introduced you...ha!

Premium Member

Comments

It really depends on the school. I went to a small state college that happened to have (at the time) a really strong art program with an excellent design professor. It was 2 years of fine art classes before I even began graphic design specific courses, not to mention the 2 years of art history, theory, etc. I believe having a fine art background has had a profound effect on the design work I do. I think you can get a fantastic education from a 2 year school or simply teaching yourself. For me school just helped keep me on track. I don't think, at that time, I would've had the discipline to teach myself. Now if I could just get someone to pay off my school loans...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chachichi on 2002-03-25 12:35 ]</font>