Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135960 | Designers: 11547                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default complete FS9 info - the email

i sent this email out two weeks ago to the email addresses which people put on their FS9 registration form. i sent the email from my own account, to only a couple people at a time, and the responses have been slowly trickling in. i need names emailed to me. please read over the info below. please. read. also, there have been a couple of minor changes to the load-in portion of the weekend, marked in bold. please.

read.

--------------------------------------------------------------

hello API members -

we're closing in on flatstock 9, july 29 and 30, here in chicago. i wanted to share all the info i have, in case you have missed any of the postings on gigposters and the flatstock info page. there's a lot of info here, but PLEASE read the whole email. some of it's obvious, some of it isn't. please share it with your employees and 'boothmonkeys'.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOUR "FS9" POSTERS

traditionally, FS vendors have each designed their own poster for the event. this is not required, but is sort of a nice thing to do. as it says at flatstock.com:

Posters should include the text:
    A.P.I. and Pitchfork Music Festival present
    FLATSTOCK 9
    Rock Poster Convention at the PITCHFORK MUSIC FESTIVAL
    Union Park, Chicago
    Noon-10 pm Saturday and Sunday, July 29 and 30, 2006
    feel free to also include the line 'in the southwest corner of union park' in your poster, if you wish.

so that these can be hung around the city, please ship these asap to -

Dan Macadam
    c/o Crosshair
    1319 W Lake St.
    Chicago, IL
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHIPPING YOUR POSTER STOCK AHEAD OF YOU -

if you'd like to ship your posters to chicago, so you don't have to lug them on a plane, or in your tercel, they will be at your booth when you arrive on saturday morning.

please ship them TO ARRIVE NO LATER THAN JULY 25. please write your company name on the box.

to
    Dan Macadam
    c/o Crosshair
    1319 W Lake St.
    Chicago, IL

THURSDAY -

nothing is happening any more. this is part of the new changes

FRIDAY -

we have the opportunity to load in some of our booth supplies and poster stock at roughly 5pm on friday. pitchfork is renting us a uhaul, which i will drive to crosshair to load with the pre-shipped poster stock, and the API booth mailing tubes. the truck will then drive back to union park and be parked overnight. if you are bringing your posters with you, and want to load in friday night, please meet us at crosshair (address above) at 6pm. TIMES MAY CHANGE SLIGHTLY, PLEASE CONFIRM LOAD IN TIMES IN THIS THREAD BEFORE FS, OR CONTACT ME.

FRIDAY NIGHT - the traditional FS "BBQ" will be from 9pm - closing, with (meat and/or veggie) deep-dish pizzas at THE HIDEOUT <http://www.hideoutchicago.com/>, a great bar and music venue a short cab ride from union park. PLEASE PRINT OUT DIRECTIONS OR A MAP IF YOU'RE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE BAR - IT'S CALLED 'THE HIDEOUT' FOR A REASON.

this will be open only to FS vendors and their guests. please email me the names of the people working at your booth, so we can put together a guest list. cost per person will be approx $8 per person, to be paypaled to <SALES@AMERICANPOSTERINSTITUTE.COM> , which does NOT include the beer or drinks served at the bar. PLEASE INCLUDE THE NAMES OF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE COMING TO THE PARTY IN YOUR PAYPAL PAYMENT MESSAGE.

DJ carrie weston will play records, and we will have a blast. moms with kids CAN bring the young-uns to the bar, providing obvious supervision rules are followed.

SATURDAY MORNING - ARRIVING -

we have SPECIFIC LOAD IN TIMES as there will be a ton of vendors and bands trying to get into the park at the same time. WE NEED VOLUNTEERS to help with unloading cars and carrying boxed posters from the fieldhouse to the booths. LOAD-IN IS FROM 8 am-9:30 am. this is one reason why it's a good idea to (a) ship your stock ahead, or (b) load in on friday (see above).

FS9 will be at the southwest corner of union park, in a larger grassy area away from (but still within earshot of) the stages. for those who attended the intonation festival, we will NOT be in the same place.

there will be wristbands for FS9 vendors (like you) at the check in gate at washington and ashland, on the west side of the park. this is where you should load in. check in will be done by individuals' names, so...

please email me the list of names of the people working at your booth.

the vendor wristbands will get you in and out of the gates.
    there will be two different wristbands for the two days.
    "regular" festival attendees have a no-re-entry policy.

parking - there is plentiful street parking in the area, especially north of lake street. please do not leave anything of value in your car.

SATURDAY MORNING - CONTINUED -

what will be provided -

10x20 foot tents, already set up. (two booths per tent)
    one table and two chairs per tent
    tent sides (for use in event of rain)
    three pieces 4x8 cardboard
    electricity
    Wi-Fi will be on the grounds. i do not know if it will be dependably broadcast to our corner of the park.
    computers will not be provided.

WHAT TO BRING -

- normal flatstock supplies -
    packing tape
    rubberbands
    poster sleeves or bags
    business cards
    bulldog clips (aka binder clips)
    thumbtacks
    your own clever way of displaying posters (see yee-haw or aesthetic apparatus, for example)

-unusual flatstock supplies -
    lights for your booth (electricity will be supplied, lights will not be. please consider lower-wattage lights, like a couple strings of christmas lights, as opposed to halogen work lights)
    an extension cord or two
    cheap plastic drop cloth in event of blustery/wet weather
    sun screen
    sealed bottled water
    maybe - laptop computer for paypal payments (see questionable Wi-Fi service, above)

please check <pitchforkmusicfestival.com> for complete park rules.

there is a home depot a short cab ride from the park, on north avenue just east of elston (a block from the hideout, see above).

SATURDAY AFTERNOON -

flatstock and the pitchfork music festival run from noon until 10 pm.
    as with flatstocks at bumbershoot in the past, admission to flatstock 9 is free to people who are inside the music festival. tickets are still available from <http://pitchforkmusicfestival.com/>

the API booth will be signing up new members, as well as SELLING MAILING TUBES ($5) AND ACTING AS A "COAT-CHECK" FOR PURCHASED POSTERS ($2?). i need volunteers to man the booth. please lend me one of your boothmonkeys for an hour here or there. email me if you can help out, please please.

SATURDAY NIGHT -

after the fest closes at 10pm, we have the option to load our poster stock into the the uhaul truck again for safe storage overnight. there will be security guards on the grounds overnight, so a complete tear-down of your booth is NOT required. due to the late finish time, there are no 'official' activities planned, though i bet someone will come up with something for those few who still have energy.

SUNDAY - same as saturday - noon to ten pm - i need volunteers for the API booth, please! an hour at some point during the day would be great.

sunday night - you're on your own packing your prints and getting them loaded out. there are fedex and ups stores all over the place, if you'd like to ship your prints home monday. this is another good reason to bring packing tape.

PLEASE CLEAN UP THE FLATSTOCK AREA! DO NOT LEAVE A BUNCH OF CRAP LAYING IN THE PARK. THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF GARBAGE CANS - USE THEM.

there will undoubtedly be an impromptu late-night dinner. i'm sure a chicagoan will suggest a good late-night place where folks can meet.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i think that covers it. please let me know if you have any questions.

- jay
    most of the time we never fish!

Comments

Southwest corner - that's by the big ball diamond?

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by DenisMutter
    Southwest corner - that's by the big ball diamond?
    it's by some trees.

and the bike racks.

the 'big' stage is ON the ball diamond.

Comments

It's tough to figure out the layout from the sat. image.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...92774350362859

I'll look for the tents with the poster people.

Premium Member

Comments

here's a quickly-drawn map of the park.

the greenish lines in the bottom left of the park depict the rows of the 60 booths of FS. all booths will be inward-facing. there will be "center" rows in the middle of the loop.

the orange line is the fenced border of the music festival. the yellow line near FS is a row of food vendors.

please note the rough location of crosshair, in the upper right corner of the image.

Premium Member

Comments

If that's the only entrance, looks like 17,000 people will (more or less) have to journey past the enticement of the FS end tables in order to make it to the food...

Premium Member

Comments

there are two entrances on ashland. one is a bit north (up) from the one marked "enter". pretty much in line with the "17000 people" text.

the place marked "enter" is where we're loading in.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Good news about the U-Haul!

To date I have received exactly TWO packages of FS9 posters, from withremote and FNharsh, the bulk of which have already gone up. NEED MORE!!!
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Premium Member

Comments

the booklets will arrive at crosshair FRIDAY. (who wants to hang?)

i'll be emailing those who've offered to help.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"