Gig Posters

Posters: 154460 | Bands: 134630 | Designers: 11443                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Hi all,

I am interested in learning about postering laws in various communitites.

I live in Seattle and it has been illegal to put poster on any public property for quite a few years. This includes, of course, light and utility poles.

We've been fighting the law with little success for several years, and lately more and more people are just ignoring it, but hundreds of folks have gotten tickets for illegal postering.

What's the postering law in your community? Is it enforced? Have there been efforts to change it?

You can find out a bit more about Seattle's problems with postering at http://freespeechseattle.org

Comments

I live in Portland OR. and we are starting to know your pain. Evidently it is Illegal to post bills on power/telephone poles but people have always done it without repurcussion. Suddenly Our Beloved mayor Vera "I think I'm The Juliani(sp)of P-town "katz has decided that posters are "ugly garbage,littering our streets" and has decided to send the local cops after bill hangers. I have only heard of one incident of a person being beaten up by police for this offence ,but I am sure more will follow.
    For Alot of us poor bands this is one of the only cheap resources for advertizing we have as well as a way for us artists who aren't really "gallery friendly" to show our work and get into a few shows for free.I'm pretty sure most of the folks who check out this very cool website would agree THIS IS NOT UGLY GARBAGE!!!!!

Comments

In reply sounds like it sucks in the states when it comes to putting up Posters,in Ireland you could put your granny up on a pole or wall and nobody would care except for your granny of course ,heres to living in a free country American democracy my ass f**k em put the posters up regardless you have got to off the filth its half the fun you nancy boys.We are the people f**k them and their law.

Comments

here in Vancouver, B.C. Canada it's fine to put up posters on poles and "designated poster areas"(i use that term loosely),but you have to watch out for "poster nazis"-the guys who flood the poles with their dumb-ass flyers and cover up shows that haven't even happened yet or worse the posters are the size of entire walls and aren't even that cool to look at. when shows are over, we have a clean up crew(whether they act alone or are a part of a city crew, i don't know), but it keeps the amount of expired posters on poles to a minimum and thus making it a bit more attractive to the eye. any thoughts?

Comments

here in new zealand the same sort of rules apply for yr utility boxes etc...most bigger towns have a few measly bollards for postering & most everywhere else is pretty much off limits...apart from out of the way walls which noone sees much of anyway...in the bigger cities there is usually more wallspace but yre screwed if you don't go through the local poster guys cause they'll go right over yrs & possibly even get aggro if they catch you on their turf...public property this is mind you...
    there is generally the same "ugly garbage" attitude to gig posters here too...in the midst of the current push on 'local culture' this art form apparently doesn't count...

Comments

Overhere in dirty wee Northern Ireland it is illegal to put fly posters up on utility boxes and private and public property. But the police generally turn a blind eye to it.

Some times property owners complain to venues when there shop shutters or windows get pasted on and then we get shouted at, but the main problem here is that people always paste over each posters even tho there is loads of room for everybodys posters. This is not done by bands but most often by DJs and Dance/Rave nightclubs who have no repect for us poor bands.

I am off out tonight to paste up a load of posters, I expect most of them to be covered over in two to three days.

Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangant there....

Comments

oh yeah the courtesy thing is a big hassle here too...and once again the dance party crew are the biggest offenders...

Comments

In the East Bay, CA, I haven't gotten any hassles for postering - BUT I have only been using a staple gun as of late. Cops have seen me and said nothing. I have had citizens pull down my flyers. Once, on Haight St. in SF, I was posting up some flyers and somebody was walking down the road, tearing off flyers and posters and just tossing 'em in the street. Since he was littering I figured he wasn't a cop or some city worker. I asked him what was up and he said he was sick of all the posters. I asked him to leave mine alone cuz I just put 'em up today and he did! I can relate to his frustration. I too get sick of looking at a telephone pole with hundreds of flyers (none with artwork) from the same club.
    But I don't know the official word on postering in the area. If you use wheatpaste, you can be busted as a graffiti vandal. Though I have heard the penalties are less for postering than painting.

Comments

Hey Folks go to my pal Shepard Fairys site obeygiant.com and you can find TONS of info on this exact subject via links,articles etc..want to talk about a master at posting no man has got it down more then shepard.This Dude is WORLDWIDE!!