Gig Posters

Posters: 156383 | Bands: 135985 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

A lot of us in the business have stories about, or have experienced firsthand, the effects and aftereffects of theft/recycling/borrowing/biting... whatever you want to call it.

I know personally of a famous supermodel who's face advertises a psychic hotline without her knowledge.

Often images used to "comp" a design (images never meant to go to press) are deemed an acceptable risk and become the original art.

Often art or images one assumes were forgotten are anything but.

This topic is for posting stories of lawsuits, threats, and misappropriation.

Premium Member

Comments

well i just got an email from an artist yesterday telling me that my art is being sold on ebay as part of a compilation of tattoo flash on cd-rom......

he knows this because his art is on there as well (without his permission)

anybody know a good course of action to take that won't end up costing me a fortune?

there are lawyers who volunteer time to help artists. try calling local design and arts organizations and ask around. they saved a lot of butts in seattle.

art

Comments

Yea, that can be weird. Clay once emailed me some poster submissions hed gotten from some guy, and one of them was a poster where they had taken my poster art from the PROPAGANDHI poster...actually, not just the art...they had taken the entire layout and removed all the text and added their own venue info. Then, they stripped out my name. And the amazing thing is that they submitted it to GIGPOSTERS...I mean, it was a pretty audacious statement. Clay was like, 'Whats the deal? You wanna email this guy?' I actually called the club and was dodged repeatedly for 2 weeks. After a while, I gave up.
    I wasnt really 'mad'...kind of just insulted...I guess.

Comments

The Lion-O one?

jermaine -

that's happened to me so many times that i've lost count. the first time was back in about '77 - some guy was showing me his portfolio and he had one of my posters in it. i was naieve, after seeing that is when i started signing my work. helped a little, not much.

art

Premium Member

Comments

i got an email about 2 weeks ago from some guy saying "hello, i was wondering if you could send me a higher quality version of the (whatever image) from your website.......we are using it for posters and the image on you website gets distorted when we blow it up."

not only was he taking my image but he had the balls to ask for a better version!

Welcome to Hell, I'll be your tour guide...
    Comments

Jason, if the art is any we've used here on posters for you, send us all the info and we'll issue a cease & desist.

May not do much good, but I'd like to know who this seller is on ebay anyway.

Are you shitting me Jason? Thats insane. what did you say to the guy? The nerve of some people.

The worst thing thats happened to me (yet) is having bands that pay me for a flyer use the images for shirts and Cd covers and shit. I charge so little for black and white flyers I guess they figure it's a way to get around paying for a proper shirt or logo design. I don't mind so much when it's a small band that I really like.I just wish they would at least ask first. It pisses me off more when its a band I know has the cash.

Welcome to Hell, I'll be your tour guide...
    Comments

Nix that "if it's art we've helped with" thing... sounds like there may be a whole lot of artist's shit being ripped off on that CD if it's the one I'm looking at.

If you'll confirm the seller id for me, I'll put this in the right hands. Tattoo artists are not very nice people when they are pissed off....

We also have an attorney who works in the entertainment industry .... she's a bass player herself .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Poster Mistress on 2002-03-22 20:16 ]</font>