Gig Posters

Posters: 159069 | Bands: 137981 | Designers: 11693                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default What Type of Emulsion to Use

I've noticed that there are different types of emulsion with all different price points. What is the best type to use for your screens when you are printing on paper?

Comments

i'm betting you'll get about 50 different responses. i think it's all kind of a personal preference. i use ulano fx88-sr, but there are a few people around here that hate ulano.

Comments

ULANO 925 WR

YA heeeeerd.

Premium Member

Comments

you get what you pay for.
    I like Ulano QTX for my half-assed exposure rig.
    Don't buy Speedball emulsion.
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Chromaline UDC-ACE

Why?
    It has a very wide optimal exposure window, i.e., it is harder to under- or over- expose your stencil. It functions well in humid conditions and doesn't get tacky. It doesn't peel off. It captures and holds small details and fine linework VERY well. It is not pulled or worn away by rough or textured papers. It reclaims easily. Loose emulsion never creeps into the stencil when it is drying. It survives long runs into the thousands without holing and loss. It makes me happy and spares me the frustration and anguish experienced by so many hapless screen printers who use inferior emulsion. It saves me money by avoiding wasted time and materials.

It's usually about eighty bucks a gallon. UDC-3 is also pretty good; UDC-1 and 2 I have had more problems with, but they are only $5-10 cheaper per gallon than the top-end stuff anyway.

UDC-ACE!
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Premium Member

Comments

Has anyone else noticed a price increase for emulsion
    "due to the cost of oil" (as my supplier tells me)?
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by steve w
    Has anyone else noticed a price increase for emulsion
    "due to the cost of oil" (as my supplier tells me)?

Uh... no. Do you get emulsion at CSS?
    Screenworks Supply has yet to jack me on emulsion.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Premium Member

Comments

yeah, CSS.
    does screenworks remesh screens, too?
    I feel like I got jacked from CSS on that count, too.

Premium Member

Comments

Just got a gallon of GFX Murikami yesterday, it was C$97. last one was $80something in Sept.

I totally agree with what Crosshair sez - pay abit more for premium, you get less problems. but you do have to match your emulsion to your system and setup and uses (and your budget)

Quick primer on direct emulsions

there are two basic types, diazo and photopolymer (called one-pot, SBQ, etc)
    diazo based emulsions, you add the diazo powder to activate the emulsion.
    SBQ type is activated.
    There is a third type which has a mixture of diazo and SBQ, called dual cure.

diazo is generally cheaper, and it is water resistant and goes bad in 2-4 months
    SBQ exposes faster under less UV light (more light sensitive), it is not really water resistant, and lasts up to a year in the bucket. SBQ also produces sharper stencils

the dual cure gives you water resistance (with the diazo) and sharpness (with the SBQ)

the other characteristic which comes into play is solids. More expensive emulsions and those rated for producing fine detail have more solids content. this means when the water in the emulsion evaporates as you dry it after coating, it shrinks less on your screen. so you may find you have to coat less, or you have less pinholing or breakdown on the press.

It is different for everyone. personally, I would rather know my screen is perfect every time than have to worry if the emulsion will hold together during washout or on the press. Try some different ones, there must be 10 manufacturers out there, with 5-10 different emulsions ranging from cheap to expensive.

if you are doing this as a business or at least value your time, a small stencil is worth approx $20 or more, when you take into account cleaning, drying, coating, drying, exposing,washout, and prep for printing.

if you save $20 on cheaper emulsion, but it screws up every few screens, you lost the benefit of the cheap.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

i use perple stuff. it werk gud.

bud.