Gig Posters

Posters: 154224 | Bands: 134485 | Designers: 11430                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: photoshop crash

Comments

Default photoshop crash

any way to retrieve an unsaved file after photoshop crashes?

Comments

You can cry a lot, that's what I do.

Comments

pretty much no chance

Comments

cry, cry, cry

Comments

WOoonnnttt WONNNnnnttt

Comments

Text programs, like word, create temp files that can be recovered because the program doesn't need to store the file exclusively in memory to operate on the data. Text can be read from the disk without much of a speed penalty.

Most graphc programs operate on the file in memory because image data would take forever to make changes to if it was constantly accessing a temp file from the disk. Memory operations are much faster. Since it keeps most of the image in memory, when the program crashes there's no place to recover it from.

Comments

g33k0ut!

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by brself
    Text programs, like word, create temp files that can be recovered because the program doesn't need to store the file exclusively in memory to operate on the data. Text can be read from the disk without much of a speed penalty.

Most graphc programs operate on the file in memory because image data would take forever to make changes to if it was constantly accessing a temp file from the disk. Memory operations are much faster. Since it keeps most of the image in memory, when the program crashes there's no place to recover it from.
    note that for photoshop i don't think this is entirely true. photoshop maintains a pretty hefty temp file on disk, which is used for paging out huge chunks of image data when performing operations on high res images. (See also: scratch disks in the preferences). However, for low res images (or on systems with huge amounts of RAM), yes the image is most likely operated on in memory.

Often when photoshop crashes, these temp files get left around on your disk and they're usually pretty large. But don't get your hopes up for saving your lost file. I doubt you'd be able to find anything useful in this file, if it's even there. It's probably stored in a photoshop native or highly optimized format that wouldn't otherwise be recognizable as image data.

Comments

The data in a photoshop temp file (because of the paging) would be useless for recovery purposes. Depending on how the image process is handled the scratch file is probably non-sequential tiles of the image. I mentioned text program temp files as an example of a temp file that is recoverable. I doubt there is any way to recover image data after a crash but I would surely salute anyone who figured it out.

Comments

illustrator cs2 has been letting me know when its gonna crash and then allows me to save it. kinda nice.