Gig Posters

Posters: 156388 | Bands: 135994 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Comments

just curious...everybody has an opinion on here. i am a huge fan of ames bros design. they do all the stuff for pearl jam. i guess the guitarists brother started it with pearl jam as their first client. i really believe they have been INCREDIBLY innovative and their ideas are pretty fresh and new. i was lucky enough to get a couple of posters early on for 8-15 bucks a piece, now they are worth hundreds. what do their colleagues think? anybody know any history about them? http://gigposters.com/designers.php?designer=3486

Comments

I don't know the history but you're right... the work is great. The evil devil in me says that of course you'll do great work if you have a million dollar client throwing money your way telling you to be as creative as you like, 24/7...

but nevertheless...

great work

Comments

yeah...would be nice to have a sugar daddy like pearl jam. they didn't seem to squander it though...

Comments

true-nuff

Comments

i'm someone in ames' industry. they're graphic designers who even enter their work in design award shows. which to me is a bit like cheating. lets put it this way, when a relative is the client and that relative has $$$, it certainly doesn't hurt. ames bros are very talented, especilay george estrada who worked at modern dog design in seattle (www.moderndog.com). personally i feel they do WAY too many pearl jam posters for various reasons. but after all is said and done i'd love to be in their shoes. personally i have more respect for the poster artist busting his/her butt doing posters for music they love. the over-saturation of pearl jam posters has hurt smaller underground bands. i'm sure most will disagree but underground-style posters for a major band like pearl jam is lame. smaller bands need the help of the poster artists and that's what makes doing posters worthwhile. ames bros pearl jam work is more like masturbation than the real thing.

Comments

ames is rather tired of working with 'big brother' pearl jam. in fact i understand that they ended the relationship - because they got tired of the band hanging out in their studio and getting in their hair. it must be a wonderful/horrible thing to have a patron/relative like pearl jam. you get to do great work that nobody respects.

Comments

Hey, good work is good work. Even if they did kind of use the "sugar daddy" approach. They took the ball and ran with it. I've seen plenty of fuck ups take their daddy's money and completely blow it (ah, hell look at our President for an example of a real fuck up). So you can't fault them for having good connections.

I hope their new work (post-PJ) is just as striking. Maybe I'll even want to buy a poster--since it won't have Beddy Wetter's band name on it!

Premium Member

Comments

How is entering their work in design award shows cheating?

Premium Member

Comments

the president.........ha! good example!

Premium Member

Comments

i have heard just the opposite, that they wont leave pearl jam..

and lets face it, great layouts etc.. but so are about 1000 other graphic designers out there... they got to do whatever they want, and became collectible because they are pearl jam posters..

heck other band posters by them you can get from years back for the same price..

sorry to say, but the same for pollock, the phish poster guy, great work, but if not for phish... no way you slap another bands name on the poster and it sells for 400 bux..

same as pearl jam ames, take pj off of the poster, put an indie band on it, a whole new story..

not blasting them, as their stuff is good, but take and good artist and have them do exclusive pearl jam posters.... they would be just as big today...