Gig Posters

Posters: 156388 | Bands: 135994 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Comments

Default registration tabs, what to use?

ok, so given the previous thread about registration pins, i thoght I'd ask this again here. I'm using the 3 tab registration method, and that works just fine for me. but I've been experimenting each time I print with a different material for the tabs. electrical tape (ugh, no), masking tape (again no), stickers (meh), cardboard (bends over time), etc. But i've yet to find something that really works well. That is, something that won't distort or drift over the print run. sure, metal and plastic are better. but rather than cutting up plastic and metal myself, if there's something already made that works well, I'd prefer to use that. so yeah, what do you use for registration tabs? oh yeah, and what do you use to adhere it to the table top? plain ole scotch tape?

seripop, in this thread:

http://www.gigposters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9403

you mention that you use "dymo plastic label maker tape". seems pretty dope. Is this still working for you? can I pick this up and any office supply place?

Comments

i use strips of chipboard, taped to the table surface with plain ol scotch. chipboard is cheap, and is thick enough to work with poster weight paper. ive been doing it this way since day one. works well for me.

Premium Member

Comments

I take wide blue painters masking tape that I get at Home Depot and make like about 8-layers of it. I take my time so that the edges of each layer line up perfectly and I do a long strip of it. (3 or 4 inches)

I make 3 of these.

It takes me a while to make them (1/2 hour maybe) but they last about 6-8 months. They stick to the table but come up real easy and the the thickness can be controlled by the number of layers...

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by cerdo
    I take wide blue painters masking tape that I get at Home Depot and make like about 8-layers of it. I take my time so that the edges of each layer line up perfectly and I do a long strip of it. (3 or 4 inches)

I make 3 of these.

It takes me a while to make them (1/2 hour maybe) but they last about 6-8 months. They stick to the table but come up real easy and the the thickness can be controlled by the number of layers...
    and you don't have problems with the tape slipping over the course of the print run? or having the layers of tape seperate? or the tape unsticking from the table top allowing the paper to slip underneath (if only for a millimeter or two)?

because I had all those problems when using masking tape. I do like that blue stuff. it's like gaffer's tape. super easy to remove, and leaves no residue. bt that's not all that important, since I can easily clean the table surface.

You can buy plastic sticky backed registration tabs from Kelly paper. McLogan's here in LA sells them in bags of like 200 for $12 or so. They don't have a functional website but if you call them they will ship them to you.

The corners come round. I like to cut the corners off.

We use a roll of normal masking tape, Chop it into 6 peices, think like a pizza... then I just peel off the thickness I require... make sure to use the factory edge!

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by aidan
    and you don't have problems with the tape slipping over the course of the print run? or having the layers of tape seperate? or the tape unsticking from the table top allowing the paper to slip underneath (if only for a millimeter or two)?

because I had all those problems when using masking tape. I do like that blue stuff. it's like gaffer's tape. super easy to remove, and leaves no residue. bt that's not all that important, since I can easily clean the table surface.
    No... I use a briar (one of those little plastic rollers... I think that's what they're called) to really press them together initially.... I usually lose a layer the frist time I pull them off the table after pressing the layers together though... BUT... after a few months they do tend to get frayed and shitty and less acurate so I make new ones...

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by S.Blake
    We use a roll of normal masking tape, Chop it into 6 peices, think like a pizza... then I just peel off the thickness I require... make sure to use the factory edge!
    SMART MOFO!

I'm going to do that...

Premium Member

Comments

3 layers of scrap adhesive backed vinyl 8x10 or whatever - i have stacks of offcuts. peel and stick two down to the third sheet with the backing still attached.
    Then cut the sheet up into 1"x3/4" with a straight edge and exacto.
    When you need a tab, just grab from a litte pouch on the front of the press (guitar string plastic pack works great), peel the back, and stick. 2 is too thin, this works for most other stuff.
    I try and replace tabs for each run, keeps them fresh and no risk of pop-off during a run.
    I keep a roll of thin carpet 'd' tape you can slice off bits and stick to the bottom of custom tabs when you need thicker material for 3D stuff - just peel and sticks both sides, this tape is really strong.

But Scott, that's a pretty good trick!
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

we just use masking tape, single layer, to mark one corner and one edge. "screwball press style"

to be fancy, we use colored masking tape, like orange or green or pink.
    most of the time we never fish!