Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135325 | Designers: 11495                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default My Process (The Methadones Girl)

Ok, I'm starting this in the spirit of Lonny's thread: http://www.gigposters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38618

So here's my process pretty much from start to finish, it's pretty long, so I hope you can stay for the entire ride...

Ok, it all starts with an idea. So this particular piece started with a conversation with Philaarts about what we think is cute/sexy. Girls blowing on hot chocolate is so hot...

Here's the initial sketch:

Then I take it to a final sketch:

Here's the sketch and it's covered in some ink.

I try to work with sizes that will work on a copier, that will come into effect later.

I usually try to figure out what I want in the final inks, sometimes I divide up the elements of the piece into different layers/sheets of paper.

This shot show the marker paper I use. This is what will ultimately be the "light color" layer.

I don't take the time to fill in all the dark areas, it's quicker to do that in Photoshop.

Here's the type sheet:

Then I copy all the larger sheets on the copier on to smaller 8.5" x 11" sheets so I can scan them. I learned this trick from DWITT. It's works really slick. I used to scan my drawings in piece by piece, this is much faster and translates really well too.
    Last edited by adamturman; 11-15-2005 at 04:26 PM.
    The place is filled with uber-ghey emo hipster yuppie rich-bitch college vegan scumbags. - 8Ball

"It's not my business to tell them they suck as Word® designers, if they want shit, I serve hot steamy shit to them." - Phoon

www.adamturman.com

Premium Member

Comments

Ok, now on to the computer...

I scan in the sheets and get my initial images:

So left is my dark layer, middle is my light, and right is the type.

I take just the black of each file and put them all into a composite. From there I push stuff around on the computer until it looks ok.

I work in gray scale to start with.

Then I switch to color and color layers in a way I feel makes the piece work. I usually use only Web based colors, it limits me to 256 choices, and I see what works well. These are the colors I try and base my final piece off of. I try to get close to what I've done on the computer. I also print out a version of this usually to remember what the colors look like when I'm mixing my paint.

Of course I cheat sometimes, but using the Web colors is a good starting point, especially for only 2-color jobs.

From here I usually make a email version for the client and I convert back to grayscale and make a flyer for the client too.
    The place is filled with uber-ghey emo hipster yuppie rich-bitch college vegan scumbags. - 8Ball

"It's not my business to tell them they suck as Word® designers, if they want shit, I serve hot steamy shit to them." - Phoon

www.adamturman.com

Premium Member

Comments

Ok, I missed a couple steps for this next part, but I basically make 3 (1 dark layer, 1 light layer, and 1 composite) 100% scale bitmapped tifs and throw them into a Quark layout that's the size of the piece I'm working on. From there I make a pdf, and send that into Kinkos.

They output a large format b/w copy (3 sheets) and that's what I'll use as my seps.

www.adamturman.com

Comments

Thank you SO much, Adam. That clears up a ton of things for me.
    "ENM is pure sex." - Frank Kozik
    PortfolioPhotosBlog

Premium Member

Comments

Another skipped step:
    Coat my screens, let them sit in my darkroom/bathroom overnight. I like to let my emulsion really dry well. I've had probs in the past with not letting emulsion dry long enough.

Ok, then I'm ready to start getting the print ready. I've got my seps, and I've soaked them in vegtable oil. (Lonny shows this in his tread, so check that out there).

Here's what the seps look like:

Dark Layer

Light Layer

Here's the dark layer burnt and drying on my bathroom floor.

I like to spray out the screen, and then let it dry with a couple of fans on it, then after it's dry, I'll spray it out again for good measure. With Ulano 925WR, I don't worry too much, cause it's really good/strong emulsion.

www.adamturman.com

Premium Member

Comments

Ok, now to the printing block...

Here's the light layer being registered to my composite sheet that I had Kinko's print out:

Ok, here's my ghetto rig. The little blue tape is my crude form of registration.
    I have one on the left, and 2 at the bottom. The white paper that is being tapped is just that. It's 80lb paper that I use as registration marks. It's exactly the heighth of my paper I'm printing. I used to have issues with registration guides that were too tall.

Since I don't have a vac table, I use repositionable spray mount, just like the AA boys. It works well, and I can listen to music and not wake the baby at night while I'm printing. I would kinda like a vac table however. That piece of tape in the middle is a trick I learned from Lon. If you pull that tape up, your print will release from the table and allow you to get your fingers under the print to take out and rack. Nice. He should patent that.

www.adamturman.com

Comments

very cool. we have really similar methods of doing our seps (except for the xerox part ... i usually work really small, so my stuff fits on my scanner).
    thanks for showing us how you work.

Premium Member

Comments

Mixing the paint

Just add some beer.

Test prints ready and waiting

Paint at the end of the screen ready to flood coat

Flood coat applied

First test print

Flaw in printing, that will hopefully come out before I start my final run

A bunch of test prints

That flaw turned out ok, whew.
    Last edited by adamturman; 11-15-2005 at 04:14 PM.

www.adamturman.com

Premium Member

Comments

Start of the run

Stop for a beer

When I'm printing I find that paint globs up on the side

So here I'm scraping some of my left overs back down to my resevior to be used again

Light color down about 70 or so prints later

www.adamturman.com