Gig Posters

Posters: 154460 | Bands: 134603 | Designers: 11440                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Ok, what band do you think has the best album cover art as a representation of their music... For me, I think Janes Addictions Ritual de Lo habitual is the best next to the sex pistols Bollocks as a near true representation of the bands music and yawn... image! As for the lamest album cover ever.... well, thats difficult cause I think most lame covers represent the lame artist/band. What always springs to mind is the face on the cover shot ie, madonna/whitney/britney/michael Bolton/ etc... the pit has no bottom.Im not a Huge Dead Kennedys fan, but I think they have very cool artwork, and also Spearheads debut cd Home has a great photo which suits the lyrical impact of mr Franti.

Well ... feedback... best n Worst, n why?
    www.mrfrumpy.com

"An artwork is normally assessed in quality by the amount of stimulation it brings about. The impact it has on people, the number of people that can relate to it, the degree of their appreciation, and the effect or influence it has or has had in the past, all accumulate to the 'degree of art.' Most artworks that are widely considered to be "masterpieces" possess these attributes." - Frank Kozik

Premium Member

Comments

One that comes to mind...is the newest Tool album...I would have bought the cd just for the art...however I am also a fan...The cover and the booklet kick ass...there is not one word on it...the art is on transparent film...or something...really nice.

Comments

Nirvana- "Nevermind". The image of the underwater baby grasping for the dollar bill on the fishing lure. The image strikes a chord as hard as the album. The struggle that begins at birth for the all mighty dollar. Pure genius, the cover itself says "this album is gonna be huge!" Even if I hadn't heard of the band, I would have wanted to know what it was about.

Comments

just came across the old XTC GO 2 cover again recently, the "This is a record cover..." anti consumerist type rant (apparently not ripped off the preexisting "This is a painting..." by whoever, who knows...), kinda tickled me; not sayin it's my alltime fave but pretty cool...

Premium Member

Comments

i agree on the new tool album
    its incredible! tons of overlaying detail..

i love going through the layers, more than listening to the new album.. not my fav tool album..

but the artists site ive been to alot, and actually tool even made a post about the talented artist!

here is it, this is tools copyright text

"Alex Grey, who did the Lateralus album artwork, has an amazing new book out called Transfigurations. Among the 200 mind-blowing images, it includes a discussion of the Lateralus artwork design. You can buy an autographed copy from his own website, at http://www.alexgrey.com. If you order one from him, mention you're a TOOL fan. We recommend Sacred Mirrors and The Mission of Art, as well. The members of TOOL feel Alex Grey is one of the most important contemporary artists. "

here is his website
    http://www.alexgrey.com/

enjoy the eyecandy!

Comments

anything done by sagmiester- so you got, Skeleton Key, David Byrn, Pat Methane (sp?), Rolling Stones, Mountains of madness... he just does amazing visual tricks and puns.

Cap'n... you're right about the David Byrne. Super cool designs on the Talking Heads albums too. David Byrne's web-site completely reflects HIM. I guess it helps that he has a visual arts background. His label, Luaka Bop (sp?) has all around cool design... I'm thinking of Cornershop and other bands like them, world-music-y. Pat Methane--> are you thinking of Pat Metheny the weird jazz/ambient guy? I think he had an album cover with super-real or "magic-real" rice paddies on it, I used to love looking at it (can't say the style influenced me much tho') it reminded me of some views in Thailand and Malaysia.

-Kendra

Oops, I'm out to lunch. The weird ambient/jazz album cover I'm thinking of is John Hassel, "Magic Realism."
    I better go grab a coffeeeee....

Comments

Pat Metheny- Imaginary Day, designed by sagmeister. the cover is designed in code, the cd itself has the code breaking device on it

Premium Member

Comments

i agree that the jane's addiction "ritual" is one of the best.......that art MADE me buy the album even though i had only heard one song.....

also i think the perfect circle cd is one of the best packaging designs around........

and i have to throw in Iron Maiden "number of the beast" just because it pissed off my parents and teachers SO MUCH!