Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135238 | Designers: 11484                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Comments

Default here we go -- silk screening questions

i went to nazdar today to buy a screen and squeegee and i ended up blowing everyone's minds there when i told them i'm using house paint. like, they seemed really concerned and were trying to make sure i knew what i was doing.

so, here we go...

i'm doing six hundred record covers. 80 lbs mr french paper. one color. black. i guess i'm going to use latex acrylic house paint unless everyone seems to think this is a really bad idea. i'm getting a big enough screen where i can do the two sides at the same time.

there's a question of what color the mesh should be depending on my light source. white or yellow. the guy who is burning my screens i'm pretty sure just uses a one bulb flood-light thing. he doesn't do flatstock stuff, just t-shirts. is the color of the mesh really important?

the images have a lot of detail. it seems like everyone says to use at least a 220 mesh. the people at nazdar said i should use a 230 or higher. i know it's hard to tell if you can't see the images.

um, emulsion? nazdar said make sure it's dual-purpose water resistant.

keep in mind that i've never silkscreened before. i'm learning as i go. i'm relying on the kindness of everyone to help me through this. i really wish i had the time to go to chicago, steve, to check out your set up. but, alas...

sorry if these seem like stupid questions...

600 is a huge run for your first screenprint!

good old screenprinting ink is a LOT easier to use...paint works well but it takes a while to get the hang of it.

I would recommend using sp ink for your first run.

any mesh over 200 will be fine for your need (I use 195 and i can get pretty good detail without too much alligator tooth edges) ::EDIT:: oops I thought you said something about not having any fine detail....so i assumed over 200 would be fine....umm...probably still is??...but you might wanna have someone look at the detail in your image to make a better suggestion on mesh ct.

good luck..

oh dont forget to have a little off contact (screen to paper) when you print!

good luck again.

Comments

m....you should use much thicker paper for a record sleeve. inserting that thin paper into plastic sleeves is going to be a pain and you'll end up bending lots of corners.

Premium Member

Comments

dammit...my post on this was lost. anyways, to sum up what i wrote, i don't think there's a difference between white and yellow mesh as far as print quality. yellow mesh increases the burn time on your emulsion, though. the emulsion you buy should have a chart that shows the differences in times.

you may have to coat the screen with emulsion a few times (one coat, dry, another coat, dry, etc...) with a print run of 600 so that the emulsion doesn't break down.

everyone's got their favorite emulsions. i've had a lot of luck with ulano QTX and ulano FX-88SR. they don't break down in waterproof ink, and clean off the mesh pretty easily when you're done (with emulsion remover).

i think that was all i wrote. good luck with it.

Comments

outsource the job and take a cut. seems like a large undertaking if you've never printed before. i also think using house paint with no printing experience is a bad idea.

Comments

I have recently done this very thing and I highly recommend against latex paint for a job of this size... You will be 1000 times happier with the results.

I've used latex paint a lot and finally got the hang of it but once I switched over to solvent based ink (inktech gp in this case) I couldn't believe the difference. you will have less hassles with ink in the screen, it's easier to properly clean (seriously) and the ink is generally more opaque and uniform. I've tried different types of waterbased but I'm sold now on the solvent inks

my run was only 250 so I hope you've got a few helpers and some racks or a warehouse of floor space

Premium Member

Comments

The mesh count will depend on your image, lpi halftone setting, and total ink coverage. If you have large areas of ink coverage, you don't want to use too high of a mesh count or it'll be a bitch to print.
    "no one best touch my Benz or capriz, lest they want a foo in dey azz" -Merf
    "pancakes sound dope." -Peveto

"Jesus pancakes sound dope." -Peveto 2010
    "i'm dropping like mad, yo." -Jay Ryan
    "Any halftizzles up in yo shizzle? You've got moizizzle." -RichieGoodtimes
    "bdix - 5 stars" -Poguemahone
    "hail the mighty bacon." -Farley
    "them's some sweet socks" -Fruitstripe Peveto
    "not with you the force is" - Ferg

posters
    twitter
    twitter KLCTVEfusion
    facebook
    d
    ribble

Comments

jeeez your more ambitious than i am i guareentee ur guna mess it up though...murphys law

Comments

the images have fine detail, but it's all line art. no large areas of color.

the paper...i'm stuck with. the original person that was going to do this project for me said 80lb would be fine considering it's just line art. i already bought the paper. i have 600 sheets of this stuff sitting in my living room. this was all supposed to be finished months ago. but i had some problems with the pressing plant. then my guy flaked on me.

i was condsidering the house paint because it's way cheaper. and i just happen to have some really nice black latex acrylic around that i was going to use for another project. but if y'all think it's a bad idea, then i'll go with the printer's ink. the nazdar people couldn't get over how insane i was. but, they were super nice about it.

outsource it? not a bad idea EXCEPT i am practically out of money for this project. like i said, this was supposed to be finished months ago. i'm not working right now and my store is opening in a couple weeks. i figure if i learned how to do it (because i wanted to, anyway) then it would be cheaper to do it myself. i'm not doing all 600 in one session. i will definitely be breaking it up. i hope bardo pond isn't reading this. i don't want them to think i'm fucking this up...

when i get this set up, i'm going to get a friend of mine over (who does t-shirts and flatstock) to run me through it.

um

i think that's it. i appreciate everyone's input! should i go with the wood or aluminum frames? does it matter?

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by mickg53
    jeeez your more ambitious than i am i guareentee ur guna mess it up though...murphys law
    if i do it and i don't fuck it up, will you buy me dinner?