Gig Posters

Posters: 154807 | Bands: 134864 | Designers: 11468                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Comments

actually i just think hes talking about a coated head vs a smooth head.

In the shadow of the Empire State Building
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by matthgee
    I have been asked to figure out how to screen print on the plastic front head of a kick drum. I have only printed on paper and cloth, and wonder if anyone has any advice on this. will it work? is there a good ink for this?

I've done a bunch of Drum heads with self adhesive vinyl. very ez and about as expensive as silk screening. any sign shop can cut the vinyl from an EPS. application is fairly ez and ill last forever. PM me if your intersted i could give you more info.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Chanks
    I've done a bunch of Drum heads with self adhesive vinyl. very ez and about as expensive as silk screening. any sign shop can cut the vinyl from an EPS. application is fairly ez and ill last forever. PM me if your intersted i could give you more info.
    I've been asked to help someone get an image on a drum head so I have resurected this thread. Does anyone think that cut vinyl would noticeably effect the sound of the drum? I don't want to deaden the sound.

Whitey did you print on the outside of the head? I was thinking that because of the rim, I would have to print on the inside (of a clear head) in reverse.

Comments

How many colors? My friend did it in one color with vinyl applied artwork.

-loco

Comments

i used to work at a sign shop that had a four colour plotter. it would print / cut the vinyl and application is very easy. the vinyl does not deaden the bass drum head very much. i've done this on my own set and have had no problems. and it lasts for a very long time.

Comments

also, if you print the vinyl in reverse and apply it to the inside of the drum head, you can paint over it. it looks very nice if done correctly. like the vinyl is engraved in the plastic sort of.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Pedini View Post
    I've been asked to help someone get an image on a drum head so I have resurected this thread. Does anyone think that cut vinyl would noticeably effect the sound of the drum? I don't want to deaden the sound.

Whitey did you print on the outside of the head? I was thinking that because of the rim, I would have to print on the inside (of a clear head) in reverse.
    bumping up this old thread here.

Pedini, how did the design turn out? Did the vinyl sticker affect the sound?
    I've been asked to design a bass drum skin as well.

Premium Member

Comments

I've done a bunch of them with vinyl and it doesn't affect the sound of the drum at all. The vinyl come in a few different thicknesses. The top of the line vinyl is cast and is only 2mil thick. Thats the shit I use, but the cheaper stuff is only 3 or 4 mil so I still don't think it would affect the sound unless you were completely covering the entire head.

Comments

I've printed on plastic with nazdar 59000 and it worked fine. Just make sure you thin out the ink with the appropriate thinner and work in a well ventilated area. I definitely took a few years off my life expectancy with that stuff.