Gig Posters

Posters: 153003 | Bands: 133642 | Designers: 11369                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default why is it taking 9 hours to burn my screens?

ok, 9 hours is a bit of an exageration, but it's honestly taking 30minutes, and even then, the backside of the screen isn't completely burned properly. in areas where there's slight build up (at the ends, sometimes a line on the side) when it gets wet, it turns mushy. that can't be right.

i'm using ulano proclaim, dual core emulsion and 2 500w halogen work lights, about 20" from the screen. my positive is oiled bond and i'm down to using just one coat on the squeege side.

any suggestions (other than buying metal hallide, which i cant afford).

Premium Member

Comments

not enough lighter fluid.
    "no one best touch my Benz or capriz, lest they want a foo in dey azz" -Merf
    "pancakes sound dope." -Peveto

"Jesus pancakes sound dope." -Peveto 2010
    "i'm dropping like mad, yo." -Jay Ryan
    "Any halftizzles up in yo shizzle? You've got moizizzle." -RichieGoodtimes
    "bdix - 5 stars" -Poguemahone
    "hail the mighty bacon." -Farley
    "them's some sweet socks" -Fruitstripe Peveto
    "not with you the force is" - Ferg

posters
    twitter
    twitter KLCTVEfusion
    facebook
    d
    ribble

Premium Member

Comments

Clear film?
    Sunlight (probably a minute on a sunny day)
    Did this just start happening? - the emulsion may be going bad.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

no, its pretty much always been the case. and the clear film wont make any difference i dont think, since even the areas that are completely uncovered are still having the same problems.

sun would be nice, but sun isn't very dependable here in michigan. plus, all my washin gout takes place in the backyard with a hose, or down the block at the carwash, so it has to be done at night. burning, then waiting around for 12 hours to wash out isnt really very practical.

anyone know of a emulsion that works particularly well with halogen?

Premium Member

Comments

That sounds about right actually, if you're using paper positives. You have to overexpose to make up for the opacity of the paper, and your window of optimal exposure is narrower.

I use the same lamps with Chromaline UDC ACE emulsion, and I get a full exposure (from film) in 17 minutes. If your emulsion is getting old, your exposure time would probably decrease (not increase) as more solids = quicker, crappier exposure. Most emulsions have a pretty short shelf life under the best of circumstances.

Ulano makes an inexpensive exposure calculator which allows you to adjust optimal exposure over a range of changing variables (aging emulsion, humidity, etc). I use mine all the time. If you figure out what factor to adjust exposure time by, you should be able to use it to estimate for paper positives as well as film.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Premium Member

Comments

i'm using ulano fsx-88R (i think that's the one), and it takes about 35 minutes to expose with one halogen bulb at 18".

Comments

hmm. i guess thats about right then. for some reason i was thinking it would be much shorter.

Premium Member

Comments

just think of all the things you can do while waiting for the screen to expose!

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by crusher
    no, its pretty much always been the case. and the clear film wont make any difference i dont think, since even the areas that are completely uncovered are still having the same problems.

sun would be nice, but sun isn't very dependable here in michigan. plus, all my washin gout takes place in the backyard with a hose, or down the block at the carwash, so it has to be done at night. burning, then waiting around for 12 hours to wash out isnt really very practical.

anyone know of a emulsion that works particularly well with halogen?
    ....don't understand re the wait till night thing - I can walk out into the direct sun, hold the screen with the glass and posi, then step into the shade and wash out - it's not the greatest, but it works well enough. If you do it all quickly, (don't stand around with your finger up your nose in the direct sunlight) you can burn halftones and fine detail with a bit of practice.

No sun in Michigan??????? I thought that was like...tropical??????? maybe find the biggest jerk you know and get them to drop their pants and bend over - if they have sunshine coming out of their ass, it might be a good alternative

Reading the other replies from peeps using the same light, double your time and see if that's better. I'm betting there is also a big difference in UV output between various halogen bulbs - you don't want any glass in front of the bulb - safety glass acts as a UV filter.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

We're using the halogens too - we had shit luck with vellum for film, so we're adadpting to transparencies and mylar & ruby.

Oiled / vellum just doesn't seem to mix well with halogen.

BTW - 24", 2 500 w Halo = 7 minute exposure.

i think Jay Ryan uses a similar rig & similar time.
    API Local, Member 025 - Hack For Life!
    http://www.fnharsh.com
    http://fnharshdesign.bigcartel.com/