Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135975 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Solvent-based inks suck ass

So I finally got around to printing with some of the inks I picked up on the recommendation of someone else, and I have to say, I hate them.

You have to mix in the thinner, and they recommend 10%, but at that solution just makes the screen clog up after 3 pulls. Adding more makes it go longer without clogging (280 mesh) but it tends to run a lot.

But beyond that, it's impossible to clean up - you have to use the expensive cleaning solution they have, which seems to cause the QTX to harden even more, making the screen reclaiming more difficult.

So now I have a bunch of inks I hate - there goes perfectly good money.

Anyone have recommendations on the best water-based inks?

Comments

It feels like
    Somebody
    Put Something
    Somebody put something in my [solvent based]ink

Comments

i use latex house paint myself but everyone on here sings the praises of tw graphics

Comments

Learning curve.

We use TW 5000 series, prints great and the only thing I use for thinner or clean up is tap water. I also recommed Dlx over Qtx.

Default Re: Solvent-based inks suck ass

Quote Originally Posted by fantasygoat
    So I finally got around to printing with some of the inks I picked up on the recommendation of someone else, and I have to say, I hate them.

You have to mix in the thinner, and they recommend 10%, but at that solution just makes the screen clog up after 3 pulls. Adding more makes it go longer without clogging (280 mesh) but it tends to run a lot.

But beyond that, it's impossible to clean up - you have to use the expensive cleaning solution they have, which seems to cause the QTX to harden even more, making the screen reclaiming more difficult.

So now I have a bunch of inks I hate - there goes perfectly good money.

Anyone have recommendations on the best water-based inks?
    Are you flood coating your image? Are you cleaning as much ink out with a pallet knife as possible before cleaning the screen? Are you using 100% cotton rags to clean your ink? Like Richie said, learning curve dude. Keep doing it till you get faster. It took me 3 or 4 runs before everything became systematic and much easier.

Premium Member

Comments

I tried flood coating and it didn't make much difference. The other two things - I have no idea what you're talking about.

I guess I'm used to the easy, breezy plastisol printing where the ink never dries and rarely clogs.

I work fairly fast already, I guess I have to figure out the best thinner ratio. But I still hate this solvent-based crap. If I can find a distributor for TW in Toronto I'll give it a try.

Premium Member

Comments

280's a pretty high mesh to learn on. I use 200's mostly.
    A good stroke will leave no ink left to dry in the screen.
    Maybe mess around with Speedball Acrylic for awhile.

If you don't know hat a pallet knife and cotton rags are,
    I don't know what to tell you.
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

Comments

Use a lower mesh for starters.

Spray your screen down with screen opener before you put any ink in.

Don't put a lot of ink in the well. It's better to add more later than have the well start to dry.

Spray the print side of the screen down with opener every once in a while and print some scrap sheets.

Premium Member

Comments

I know what both of those things are, just not how they apply - well, the cotton rags for wiping, but the knife? No idea how you'd use it.

Richie, thanks for the excellent advice. Wish I could afford to blow money on more screens so I better make these ones work.