Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135513 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Art Store Screenprinting "starter kits" and equipm

Are the starter kits you can buy in art stores worth anything? I have been looking at 4 screen machines on ebay but i think i should start smaller and get the process down first.

are the starter kits worthless or a good starting point or should i buy the good stuff first?

please help a newbie out who can't stop thinking about screen printing.

Comments

there's a whole lot of grey area between the speedball kits and a 4 color press.

i started with a speedball kit - now i know that they are kind of a ripoff but an easy way to start.

i'm pretty sure all the 4 color package presses on ebay are crap and as stated many times here you can't properly cure with just a flash dryer.

are you looking to print posters or shirts?

Premium Member

Comments

speed ball kits are a good way to start (kinda)
    butt
    if you are going to get into it "for sure" go ahead and buy the real stuff at least as far as screens, squeegee
    you can start w/speedball emulsion/ink if you want it sucks, butt its kinda forgiving if i remember corectly

if you are looking at a 4color carosel you dont need a 4 color press to print posters. just jiffy hinges and a smooth surface to screw them to

i cure my t-shirts with a flash drier. its the same heating element as in a small conveyer drier you just have to figure out the time it takes to cure

Premium Member

Comments

those ebay 'printa' systems (all in one kits) are a rip.

You want to dabble cheap and small and get inky, try the speedball kit.

Past that, with the tips here and a couple of hundred dollars and your new found friends at the screen supply shop or local screenprinters (talk to the tech guys, get some used frames, a squeegee, some ink - I always found a six pack goes a long way if you are looking for information and deals) you should just get printing and quit wasting time on the interweb.

the sooner you get started the sooner you get ink on your good clothes. then you are on your way to becoming a screenprinter.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

thanks guys.

i plan on printing on paper and shirts eventually. i love what can be done with screeprinting and living in seattle i am sourounded by great talent who are taking it to whole new extremes.

So a couple hundred bucks can get me started in this game? I like the idea of talking to a screenprinter to see if they have anything cool lying around i could buy off of them.

thanks guys, i hope to ask more questions soon.

Comments

also when i wanted to learn how to print i called every printer in the yellow pages and asked if they needed help from someone who wanted to learn and had no experience. one of them did, the owner was a dick but the actual printer was super cool and taught me a ton. plus i got to use their equipment for a bit.