Gig Posters

Posters: 155690 | Bands: 135552 | Designers: 11510                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Problem to get out off

OK here's the Problem. I went to expose a screen yesterday and the unit would not turn on. It's a plate burner for shooting offset printing plates. It 5000w Metal halide. I thought it just might be the fuses in the unit or in the breaker box. I forgot about this until I was going back to my shop later in the the day. The fuse in the unit looks fine. The fuses at the breaker box are the old commeriacl type. I went bought new ones and nothing, still won't come on. I have to get some t-shirt jobs done over the weekend.
    I tryed rigging something up using floresent tubes. I shot a screen for 20 min just kinda going blind. It stared to show the image and it looked like it was going to work but then it all started to fall off. I called my brother inlaw and I am using his halogen box light (drop light) that he uses when
    he does constuction at night.
    I now doing a step test with a screen and a sheet of ruby. The lamp does not say how many watts it puts out. All it says is the max. bulb you can use is 500w
    I get a unexposed screen and draw lines on the back of the screen about 2 inches apart. these are just guide lines.
    I expose for 5 mins then move the sheet of ruby to the next mark and shoot for another 5 min. I do this like seven times and when I'm done I'll have seven different exposures on the same screen when I'm done.

5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 & 35 min on the screen

I have no time to mess with the unit and this will get me through the weekend.

If any of you don't understand let me know and i'll make up a drawing

happy printing

-loco

Comments

Well it looks like between 15 & 20 min is the right exposure. I'm going with
    17 min. This how you figture it out when you don't have all the information you need to get the right answer. The other thing is that not all units let out the same amount light . It's just a good test to get in the right direction as far as exposure time. I'll adjust as I shoot the screens

-loco

Comments

the same thing just happened to us, it was the wires from the on switch. the just totally fried froom age and the heat.

Be careful if you start digging around in there, those capacitors will kill ya pretty quickly. Or at least toss ya into a wall.

Our 1000w backup bulb takes 20 minutes with Kiwo Poly Plus S emulsion. The bulb is 7 years old so i have a feeling that may be increasing the exposure time.

Comments

Looks like I'm bumbing it up to more like 20- 24 min. I have gotten spoiled with my 5000w it takes me like 1 min. to expose on that one.

do what you gotta do

-loco

Premium Member

Comments

electricity is fun.
    I zapped myself a few times working on my 220v t-shirt dryer
    a few years ago. I think it shaved off about 20 IQ points.
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

Comments

I hate workng on electrical shit. I'm disconnecting it before I mess with it
    My ex-partner is way better at figuring out this stuff I'll have to give him a call on Monday. He's out of town

-loco

Comments

i used to use black light floresent tubes, exposure time about 20 min.
    now i use UV floresent tubes, the kind you find in a tanning studio, exposure time about 10 min. it also depends what kind of emulsion you use.

Premium Member

Comments

Default Halogen Shop lights....

Loco - I had posted this tip on a post last week I think.

When I was doing research and came across those 500w shop lights in home depot, I noticed the glass cover said that it was uv protectant. I would recommend ditching the glass cover if you can. It might speed things up a bit.

Just my two cents on the matter.

-D

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by steve w
    electricity is fun.
    I zapped myself a few times working on my 220v t-shirt dryer
    a few years ago. I think it shaved off about 20 IQ points.

yyyeeeaaaaah...

blame it on the "dryer" whydontcha...?

Comments

I shot the screens and I think I figured out what is wrong with my 5k unit
    My Father in law came by and he's pretty good at eletrical stuff. he had his testers and He thinks it just my switch. I have to wait until monday to get part or see if I have to just get the same thing but a different type and just mount myself. If I have to shoot more screens with my rigged set I'll try taking of the Uv cover.

thanks I forgot about what you said

-loco