Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135238 | Designers: 11484                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ive heard about a certain kind of print called 'giclee' or glicee' or something similar. I think COOP did one and EMEK, maybe. What kind of print is this? How is it manufactured?

Comments

It's pronounced like "gee-clay", and it's basically printing out artwork via computer printer. It means "to spray ink".

Check it out here: http://www.gicleeprint.net/index.shtm

-matter

Premium Member

Comments

its an incredible high quality print.. i own a couple glicees and i just got the one by emek.. truly cool prints, high quality and if you dont own one get one!!!

as for the definition, this is TAKEN from coops website!! enjoy....

"GICLEE or IRIS PRINTS

These very limited edition fine art prints are popping up all over the fine art world and have interested Coop for years. The term “giclee” is derived from the French word “gicleur” which translates to “nozzle.” The French verb “to spray” is “gicler,” (yep, we’re back in high school French class here) so logic tells us that the direct object of that spraying nozzle (Hang on we’re almost there) would of course be ... Giclee. The technique was developed in the 1990s for exclusive use in making fine art prints, and now Coop is getting into the act with the help of a renowned Los Angeles printer. “Iris” is the name of the machine most often used to create the print, so prints are sometimes called Iris Prints instead of Giclee. We are proud to offer Coop’s first Giclee Iris Prints here on Coopstuff.com. "

Comments

Some of our Dillinger posters are iris prints, we had an iris printer at work and i would come in after hours and pinch out a few posters... beautiful prints, really expensive though, and depending on the ink they are to be kept away from water at all cost

Comments

JERKFACE - this is the type of printer I'm using.. Essentially its a real fancy "inkjet" printer.. Not used for mas quantity which I no longer do.. REason being is that these printers take too damn long to print.. But the quality is pretty fuckin good.. Alo depending wht kind paper you use can affect how your art looks.. Glossy paper gives it a cool shine.. You can also adjust the amount of ink going down, you can saturate it for a reall cool look, or tone it down.. And "Captain" your comment about the water? There is now a nw psper that is "water resistant" .. Don't spray it down with a hose, bit you can pee on it and it won't run.. Its very cool new stuff, check it out.. I love these types of prints, they have their advantages and disadvantages.. Actualy the only disadvantage seems to be "time" and running quantities..

COOP did a cool seires of giclee prints. They were butt-expensive, tho.

Comments

I have an EPSON PHOTO PRINTER, using 13" x 19" gloss photo stock paper...

...would one of these prints out be considered a giclee?

Charle - when I do those blends in Freehand I get strips of changing color NOT smooth like your Hi-C label. Whats up with that?

Comments

sure, just call it one and sell it for buttloads of cash.

Comments

make a gickle of mr Pickles nipples.

Comments

Hey Jeff, you have fucking great guolie mosnters..

on the blends, you got to set the blends high enough so you don;t get the banding.. When you select the two points and the do (command-shift-B) then you go under your inspector pallette and set the "number of steps" to a higher number.. Sometime it will default to 256 steps, which should give you NO nbanding, but it maybe doing 12 steps.. If you still get banding with a high number of steps, check the output on your printer.. How much resolution it can handle, etc..