Gig Posters

Posters: 154331 | Bands: 134495 | Designers: 11429                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Comments

Default homebrewed exposure rig (need lightbuld hints)

I've been spoiled. I school I used to have 24/7 access to a great big exposure table and all the QTX I wanted. I graduated and moved and am starting a printshop in my apartment, and will be most likely using TZ emulsion.

My question is what kind of light bulb should I use.

I'll be going down to the hardware store to buy the bulbs, should I use tube lamp bulbs or does it matter if I use filament bulbs? Is it good or bad if the bulb doesn't emit ultraviolet light? I'm not making an exposure table, just prolly gonna strap a couple lamps to a piece of wood, lay my screen on the floor emulsion side up with a piece of glass over it.

And I've ruled out the sun since I want a little more control over the process. And I'll be working at night.

Kind of a blah question but feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

there have been a lot of topics on here that have really good info about what you're asking but i don't know how to find them.

i've built my own unit in the past using a metal hallide system, i know plenty of others who use a row of tubes. there's a lot of information on here and all over the web.

Premium Member

Comments

I used a cheap halogen work light from Home Depot. 500W exposed screens at the same rate as the light table I have now. Pretty ghetto but it worked.

Comments

Pretty much any screen printing question can be answered by searching the forums on here or on www.squeegeeville.com

Comments

I posted this before,

There's a company here in Fresno that sells Industrial lamps for just about anything you think of that has to light up. Anyway the guy there gave me a catalog (like 530 pages) of just lamps. They have 1000 watt metal Halide
    lights. Which are really for lighting up parking lots. For about $170.00 dollar (at least the quote he gave me at the Fresno Location)
    These are brand new and should work fine.
    In the catalog there under page C-11 under Nitebrites Large Floodlight
    catalog # FLL
    The book has webpages and phone numbers on the back. I'm not sure if they sell to the public or if it's just wholesale.

www.dcolighting.com Ph. (800) 234-1890

www.capriomegalighting.com Ph. (800) 234-1890

www.sitelighting.com Ph. (800) 227-0758

hope this helps

-loco

Comments

not all MH bulbs are the same! you need to get one that has a good uv spectrum (nanometers) to do clean burns! i use a 500 watt and my longest burns are 4 min 30 sec on dyed mesh. Its all in the nanometers!
    after a month or so of research back in the day with the biology dept. at OSU, I matched this bulb with the emulsion i use (murakami SR):
    Venture Lighting
    186-202
    SL371-B2
    (i got this from a hydroponics store, plants like uv also)
    ph. # 18004370111

hope this helps!

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by fantasygoat
    I used a cheap halogen work light from Home Depot. 500W exposed screens at the same rate as the light table I have now. Pretty ghetto but it worked.
    that's what i'm doing now. halide light from lowe's - $35, built a little frame for it to stand above the screen. takes about 9-10 minutes to burn a screen with ulano QTX.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Engine House
    not all MH bulbs are the same! you need to get one that has a good uv spectrum (nanometers) to do clean burns! i use a 500 watt and my longest burns are 4 min 30 sec on dyed mesh. Its all in the nanometers!
    after a month or so of research back in the day with the biology dept. at OSU, I matched this bulb with the emulsion i use (murakami SR):
    Venture Lighting
    186-202
    SL371-B2
    ph. # 18004370111

hope this helps!
    You can get all technical but it's just light hardening the emulsion and black from your positve holding back light so it will rinse off. If your just starting out get what you can afford. The first screens I shot were with a 100 watt light bulb and it took forever but for what I was doing at the time it worked fine. As you get more into the process you start to understand
    why some art is harder to shot than others because of light source.
    I have a 5000 watt metal hailde but it's not how I started.

-loco

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by loco
    Venture Lighting
    186-202
    SL371-B2
    ph. # 18004370111

hope this helps!
    You can get all technical but it's just light hardening the emulsion and black from your positve holding back light so it will rinse off. If your just starting out get what you can afford. The first screens I shot were with a 100 watt light bulb and it took forever but for what I was doing at the time it worked fine. As you get more into the process you start to understand

-loco
    Yep! I started out in the 80's with the SUN!

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by loco
    Venture Lighting
    186-202
    SL371-B2
    ph. # 18004370111

hope this helps!

-loco
    Yep! I started out in the 80's with the SUN!
    I did that too until I went out one day not thinking just all caught up in the job and way behind. I walk out side all ready to shot my screen and it starts raining. (Big jackass ears going out of my head)
    that when I started looking into an exposure unit.

-loco