Gig Posters

Posters: 156383 | Bands: 135985 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Poster

Comments

Default My First Poster

I finished my first silk screen poster, and I wanted to say thanks to everyone here. I really couldn't have done it without all the great advice and information here. I've done some design for stuff like this before, but I've never tried any screen printing myself.

Here's the artwork:

It's for the night that I run here in SF, more specifically our valentine's
    day event tonite.

Even though it was 4 colors (a bit much for a complete beginner), This
    design worked well because each color was so independent of the others. I just put in a littler trapping for the pink fill of the hands image,

For the printing I used these shitty speedball 16x20 12XX screens I got from the local art store. Which gave me alot of jagged edges on the finer details. I'm definitely getting some nider screens. Probably 200 or 230. I mean 12XX is like 125, right??

I created the artowrk in photoshop, using spot channels for each color. Then I printed to 13x19 inkjet transparencies for the film positives. Also, I used speedball water based acryllics, speedball diazo emulsion, and some 100lb bristol paper. did a run of about 70. I had a few problems with the water based inks clogging the screen. So I just started keeping my pace constant, and used a spary bottle of water to spray down the screen when it clogged. This worked pretty well to clear it out.

Oh yeah, I also learned that you have to be really careful when washing out emulsion from the screen. You gotta make sure you get it out of all the positive areas. I'd really love to have a backlight washout booth instead of just using my shower.

Anyway, for you beginners out there, here's proof that you can get decent results without spending too much. But if I were to do this again, there's a few things i would definitely get better screens. finer mesh, and considerably larger. printing 13x19 artwork on a 16x20 screen isn't fun, as I found out the hard way.

Anyway, I really want to say thanks to everyone for your posts over the past few years. All this advice and information helped tremendously. And now, I've been bitten by the bug. can't wait to do more!!

oh yeah, i also ended up printing a series of 8 valentines to give out at the night, I'll try to post them, and actual photos of the poster tomorrow.

Comments

Looks good.

I remember my first poster. It hurt a bit, and didn't work out as well as I had imagined, but the video sold pretty well.

Comments

Default hey

I have one of these.

It was hung up in front of the store.

Great first print.

Comments

The design is great it had me laughing for awhile then I felt a tingle at my center. great work

-loco

Originally from Peterborough/ living in Hiroshima
    Comments

What do you mean when you said you used a "littler trapping for the pink fill of the hands image?"

Comments

thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. next: new screens and a new project!

Husky: the trapping i'm refering to is the pink fill for the hands extends slightly into the dark red-brown outline of the hands. Once the red-brown is printed over the pink, you don't see this overlap. this way, i didn't have to get those two colors lined up perfectly to get a good looking print.

Woodward Flats: I'm curious what store you're refering to. Adobe Books? Record Collector?

Comments

You spelled Valentine's wrong.

Comments

oh yeah, i also printed a series of 8 valentines to hand out at the event. each one is about 5" x 7". printed four to a screen. 2-color: hot-pink & blood-red. 100 lb bristol paper. I'm not as pleased overall with the design of these. but i guess it was a time thing. had to crank out all 8 of these motherfuckers in under a week, and that's evenings and weekends only. artwork below. the last two i just fucking ran out of time to add type and shit, so I just left them as is. i kinda like em better that way.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by doggydoodle
    You spelled Valentine's wrong.
    huh? where?

Comments

Just kidding. End of the day here at work and I can't make a good joke. Nice stuff, especially that last bunch! Supa. Dupa.