Gig Posters

Posters: 154962 | Bands: 135082 | Designers: 11473                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Printing on wood w/ Stain

Sorry if this has been asked before. I performed a search and there were a kazillion results. Anyone ever printed on wood with stain? I mentioned this to my dad, who is into woodworking, and his ears perked. Could lead to something cool. Wood stain is really watery, and I could see that as being a problem. Any suggestions for thickening it up a bit?

Comments

ask bdix, i think he has done some stuff, we are getting ready to possibly do the same thing for some signage, don't know how, but we have an idea

Comments

I've never done it, but thinking logically, the properties of stain are to soak into the wood and bleed a maximum amount to crate a uniform finish. I'd imagine this would spread far enough to kill any type and crisp images.

But you know, it's worth a shot. Might have a nice effect for a base layer to build colors on top of.

Premium Member

Comments

I posted these paintings here before.,.. they are painted with aniline dye on birch plywood and sealed with spar varnish.

Premium Member

Comments

i think i said it before but those paintings are great!

Premium Member

Comments

I don't know about printing stain (because of how watery it is, you would need to use fine mesh) but we have done a lot of printing on boxes with WB and solvent based inks. for the stain effect, you can make up a clear, with slight bits of colour in it. Here are some samples.

any wood printing, you want to sand the surface, and put a seal coat down first, otherwise the ink will soak in unevenly.

Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Thanks for the help. I suppose I'll test printing on a scrap piece of wood with an old screen if he decides he's interested in doing this. I'll post the results if I do.