Gig Posters

Posters: 156064 | Bands: 135791 | Designers: 11529                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default How do you get good registration?

We are using a vacuum table with a hand press. Right now, we are using duct tape on the corners to register our prints and we know it wasn't going to be perfect, but they are off more than I'd like them to be. We tried using the clips that AWT sent with our clamps, but it was near impossible to load the clips on the vacuum table because the table always "grabbed" the paper down before it was in place on the clips. The print I did over the weekend was 3 colors and some are off about 1/8 of an inch and each color was a fatty.

I've searched the forums and scanned the forums and I've foud info on everything we needed except for this issue.

Any tips, pics of your registration set-up, or direction to a link would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Premium Member

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Comments

the tsunmai poster I did was a 4col print, all done with card regi's wanted to try this, as it sometimes throws out some interesting shit. I also attatche the black posi to the bed to act as a 'map' every col going down i check with the map to see if the screen is in place. this is a staneage way of doing things, but it seems to be working for me.

Premium Member

Comments

I'm sure andymac will post up a thourough tutorial on this, so i won't type too much, but one thing to look at might be if the screen is shifting at all during printing (this is assuming that your separations all line up after printing and that you've lined the paper up correctly before you put down your registration tabs). even though it's clamped in place, sometimes it may shift from side to side just a little. anyways, if i notice that the registration is off a little to one side, then i'll move the next print over a little to see if that fixes it, if it does, then i adjust all the rest of my prints the same way.

Premium Member

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Comments

staneage
    this word would be stoneage

*bump*

Premium Member

Comments

I use masking tape.
    No vacuum (aren't you supposed to turn it off while you put the paper on?)
    Always register from the same corner along the longest side of the paper.
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

Comments

At school we never used a vaccum table, just a little spray of textile adhesive on the table and some masking tape.

The problem sounds like it is in your separations/ screen burning process.

Quote Originally Posted by steve w
    (aren't you supposed to turn it off while you put the paper on?)
    Well if you are supposed to, I'm in trouble. I ran the Vacuum hose from the shop vac up through the floor from the basement to keep the noise down. I'd get alot of exercise though. It seems to lay down fine with the vacuum on, it just seems off even when the paper is up close to the tape. I figured the ink would dry if you flicked a switch every print. And I'm not sure if they would be in registration if I did that either.

Forgive me, I printed t's for years before this, I'm just trying to get all the troubleshooting down with printing on paper.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

Use register tabs in the corner and one on the longs side. I'm not sure if this is what you are asking. Tension of screen is another big factor. You might be fighting a baggy screen. Where the fabric is rolling while you print.
    If you run you finger along your the top part of your hand and press down that's an example of what the mesh might be doing if the screen mesh is loose. If you know for sure that the film positves are right then it just might be tension. here's an example of how I set up my tabs when I print.

-loco

Premium Member

Comments

what loco said.
    hook up a footswitch to your vacuum.
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy