Gig Posters

Posters: 154962 | Bands: 135082 | Designers: 11473                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default giclee printing / alternative to screening?

hi there. new here. i've done a few posters but never dabbled with screenprinting (time and space issues are the main factor).

i was wondering if there is a good alternative to screening that would produce a similarly professional finish - would a super high quality giclee printer onto heavyweight paper come out ok? does anyone have any experience of producing posters with methods OTHER than screening.

i'd really appreciate any feedback.

thanks

badger

Sure Giclee would be comparable, but ALOT more expensive. They are very nice though.

Comments

Hey!

Welcome to the hornet's nest you've just stepped on,...! Haha! This site has about 5 years of history, examining every printing technique on the planet,... there are entire sections just dedicated to printing, & a really cool thread in Anything Goes showing Frank Kozik printing at Diesel Fuel,... so get cracking, you have half a decade of playing catch up to get through before the onslaught begins,...

Default Re: giclee printing / alternative to screening?

Quote Originally Posted by badger
    i was wondering if there is a good alternative to screening that would produce a similarly professional finish...
    No. There is not. At all. Nothing. It's totally worth learning (or paying) though. Good luck!

Thought this may be a thorny issue.

I'm new to all this so it's gonna be a learning process. I'm thinking from the looks of it most of you lot are screeners.

A couple of questions:

- what format will screen printers prefer work on? I'm thinking a layered tiff or something - ????

- once i've done a finished poster in photoshop what technique should i employ to cut down the amount of colours etc? (i'm thinking i should start thinking in 2 or 3 colour from the start of each design?)

- can anyone recommend a cheap screen printer in the UK?

Many thanks again

- what format will screen printers prefer work on? I'm thinking a layered tiff or something - ????
    You can do that. But it's easier for everyone involved to work in Channels in Photoshop. It's just like manipulating the acutal films.

- once i've done a finished poster in photoshop what technique should i employ to cut down the amount of colours etc? (i'm thinking i should start thinking in 2 or 3 colour from the start of each design?)
    Yes, always start out with the end product in mind. Limit yourself to just a 2 or 3 color design from the beginning.

- can anyone recommend a cheap screen printer in the UK?
    ??

Comments

Andy Diesel at Dieselfuelprints.com

Also:

Read every single thread in the "screenprinting" section of this site. You'll be catching up by then.

You can do that. But it's easier for everyone involved to work in Channels in Photoshop. It's just like manipulating the acutal films.
    Gotcha. I'll have to investigate channels - never really had to use them before with the stuff I've been doing.

Just searched around the forums and I see there's a lack of UK screen printers. Best cross that bridge when I come to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ferg2001
    Andy Diesel at Dieselfuelprints.com