Gig Posters

Posters: 154460 | Bands: 134609 | Designers: 11442                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default alternatives to halftones

I've been wondering for a while how to print gradients and shading that doesn't look as mechanical looking as halftones. Kozik's NIN is a good example of this (although I haven't seen it in person, so I could be wrong):

POSjet film web site promotes some software that allows you to print a dither, but there has to be some to do this in photoshop, right? I've played around with the mezzotint filter, and changing things to a dithered bitmap, but both seem to produce dots that would be too small for printing with 200 mesh. Is there some method of changing resolutions to increase the size of the dots? Doesn't seem like this should be too complicated of a thing to do, but I really can't figure it out...

Premium Member

Comments

I use a toothbrush an waterproof India ink right on the film.
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

Comments

or take the piece you want into its own channel...then boost the contrast 100% so it blows out...much like a photocopier. Then you can use that channel as a fill channel or just use it to print your films sans half tone.

Comments

Photoshop --> threshold. Create various densities and layer them.

Comments

mezzotint filter in ps, but the results aren't always so hot.

Premium Member

Comments

I can't tell by looking at the NIN print, but it has that 'mezzotint' look. Mezzotint was used to reproduce tonal shading before they came up with halftones. The major knock on mezzotints is they don't have the contrast range of halftones, they tend to drop out in the light areas and clog in the dark, but they look cool and graphic. Originally done by hand with a special tool that would knurl the metal plates, mezzo tints could be applied using a film filter when shooting film in a camera, and it is available as a filter in digital graphic programs.

Stochastic, or FM (frequency modulation)dots (bitmap output dots/diffusion dither are this too) are what you see when you look at inkjet output. The main diff between a halftone and stochastic is the dots are all the same size - halftones get bigger or smaller. Stochastic shows shading by increasing or decreasing the number of random dots in a particular area, but all the dots are the same size.

Stochastic is in manyways better than halftone at producing smoother and less visable gradients, but suffers from the fact almost all offset printing is still done using the halftone method, mostly because people do not want to change or learn how to output it. One example in 'the real world' is National Geographic. Always famous for their high printing standards, they made the switch to stochastic process colour when they realized it was a better way to print. Get out a magnifying glass and look. Typical process colour with halftones produces rosettes, those small patterns that happen when everything is in register. Stocastic produces no discernable patterns when the four colours intermingle.

In screenprinting, because of mesh and annoying moire patterns created by gridded halftones overlaying gridded mesh threads, stochastic emerges as a viable alternative.

Unfortunately, unless you can make the dots a size you can expose and print, it is a problem, as most printers and output devices have default output settings. Generally you need a RIP, and you need to convert the image to a dithered output. Depending on your mesh and what you are printing and capable of holding, you have to experiment with the size of the dot, and the number of pixels per inch.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

andy is like this mad guru living in a shack in the woods in some far away place where he goes trout fishing in the morning and makes his own beer

he also killed a bear once

and the outhouse he build near the river is structurally sound

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by piemel
    andy is like this mad guru living in a shack in the woods in some far away place where he goes trout fishing in the morning and makes his own beer

he also killed a bear once

and the outhouse he build near the river is structurally sound
    that's bullshit....I don't make my own beer.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

If you have access to a film camera/enlarger. Print out your seps using your inkjet at 87% of actual size. Then enlage them with the camera to 100%. this will make the dither dots hold in a 200 mesh screen.