Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135806 | Designers: 11531                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default printing fabric...

my brother makes alot of vintage looking hand bags, skirts and dresses and we were thinking about printing custom fabric for his wares. has anyone done this? i tried it once back in school and have an good idea of how to set up a rig to do it but just wondering if anyone here does it at all. gratzi!

Comments

Default Re: printing fabric...

Quote Originally Posted by sicknimich
    my brother makes alot of vintage looking hand bags, skirts and dresses and we were thinking about printing custom fabric for his wares. has anyone done this? i tried it once back in school and have an good idea of how to set up a rig to do it but just wondering if anyone here does it at all. gratzi!
    my girlfriend does likewise, and she's been asking me about printing on fabric and vinyl. I need to know this shit as well. I was just going to wing it and see what happened. One thing I was told about printing on vinyl is making sure the vinyl is "coated".

does your brother have a website?

Premium Member

Comments

Default Re: printing fabric...

Quote Originally Posted by whiteyhouston
    Quote Originally Posted by sicknimich
    my girlfriend does likewise, and she's been asking me about printing on fabric and vinyl. I need to know this shit as well. I was just going to wing it and see what happened. One thing I was told about printing on vinyl is making sure the vinyl is "coated".

does your brother have a website?
    nah my brother doesn't have a website. he should his stuff is legit! he is really basheful and thinks its not very good. but i had a teacher show me how to set up a decent rig. when/if i build i will let you know how it goes. does your lady have a website? you the man whitey!

what exactly do you need to know?

Premium Member

Comments

The quick lowdown on printing bolts of fabric (I got to go set my wife up on a press)

you need a long table - in the places where they do this commercially, the tables are 50 feet long or longer.

the table usually has a thin foam pad on the top, covered with fabric

the bolt is laid out smooth on the table and held with pins or something so it won't move

A screen is exposed with a full pattern on it, one screen for each colour. the image is registered on the screen so each colour is in the same position relative to the corner and side of the screen...

when the screen is placed on the fabric it rests agianst stops on the table. the stops go the length of the table, corresponding to the pattern, allowing it to repeat.

the screen is then moved along, printed, moved along printed, etc (step and repeat) the bigger screens have a block and tackle running along the length of the table so the screen can be lifted and moved easy. there are usually 2 people, one on either side, each pulls the squeegee from their side.

the second colour is registered and the process repeated. and so on.

when done, the bolt is dried and cured (these inks are not plastisol, they are usually dye based, with low curing temps)

you can also print alignment marks to the outside of the usable print area, that you can view through the screens as you go along - print the first set with a wider squeegee, and then visually line up the next prints to register marks burned into the screen, but not printed over. then you don't need the stops, but it is trickier this way and you can't move the screens around much or it blurs.

they have automated machines that print bolts off roles, but this method above is still used extensively in many 3rd world situations where it is hot, labour is cheap, and factories can be set up under a roof with open sides. In India, they hang the bolts from the trees after printing and the inks bake and set in the sun

I did this a few times working for a silk fashion designer, once we did the prototypes, they sent the designs to italy to be done in mass quantities.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

no web site yet.. they have been making burlesque/dramatics clothes/costumes for a while and are making bowling ball bags and shit now... They are taking me to the strippers on Saturday to see what the strippers are wearing! I'm going to see what they're not wearing... weird.. but I'm not complaining

Andymac, can I live in your guest house?

Premium Member

Comments

Not if you look like your Avatar
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

andy = awesome..
    a one man encyclopedia..
    so with the dye based ink, do you know where to get it? what to ask for? When I've talked to suppliers they always suggest plastisol for fabrics but thats not what we need.

I don't, the avatar is what i picture El Roi looking like.

Now, about the guest house......