Gig Posters

Posters: 155619 | Bands: 135530 | Designers: 11506                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Photocure Sr washout/exposure quxtion

I'm using photocure sr emulsion, nice even coating on screen, 500watt Halogen lamp about 20 (or so?) inches from screen with image held very tight against screen. I'm using tracing paper with ultra opaque acrylic ink to make image, for what that's worth. I exposed one screen for about 10 mins and had horrible washout and ended up just reclaiming the whole screen. Am I underexposing or over? Do I need a thicker coat of emulsion? Thanks, and please remember that I'm, you know, new to silkscreening.

Premium Member

Comments

what was horrible about the washout/ did everything washout or did very little of it wash out? need a little more info.

Comments

It started to appear and I was like "here we go!" and then big blobby areas started to go... like, parts of it were good and looked like they should but other parts were like huge blobby washouts. Zat make sense?

You REALLY need something other than those halogens that you are using. They are not in the right UV range.

Best choice 1000 w Metal Halide
    If you can't afford that use fluorescents.

Comments

Is there any way to work with what I've got here or am I just fucked?

Premium Member

Comments

Double (or triple) your time for a start. If it all came off, it is underexposed. this assumes the coating was even (with a scoop coater) on a dry screen, properly prepared. the emulsion must be dried completely too.

some halogens seem to work, there are a number of peeps that use them, but they are low in UV in the right range to make the emulsion react.

I know it sounds like too much work, but do a test exposure if you have never exposed with your setup.

sheet of black paper or rubylith, a watch with a second hand. Uncover your posi an inch or so at a time. In your case, you know 10 minutes doesn't work, so go to 15 and start there, move it 1 inch every minute, get about 15 steps.

when you washout, note the best, do the math, and you now have a consistant exposure time (until you change something)
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac
    Double (or triple) your time for a start. If it all came off, it is underexposed. this assumes the coating was even (with a scoop coater) on a dry screen, properly prepared. the emulsion must be dried completely too.

some halogens seem to work, there are a number of peeps that use them, but they are low in UV in the right range to make the emulsion react.

I know it sounds like too much work, but do a test exposure if you have never exposed with your setup.

sheet of black paper or rubylith, a watch with a second hand. Uncover your posi an inch or so at a time. In your case, you know 10 minutes doesn't work, so go to 15 and start there, move it 1 inch every minute, get about 15 steps.

when you washout, note the best, do the math, and you now have a consistant exposure time (until you change something)
    Thanks. That's awesome advice... can I mail you a reward or something? You want a flier book?

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by jkelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Andymac

Thanks. That's awesome advice... can I mail you a reward or something? You want a flier book?
    Sure, but maybe you better see if it works first!

Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Maybe I should get a solar exposure unit. That looks so sweet (although the sun doesn't shine much in Cleveland). you can just give me one cuz I'm going to register as a 501c3 and you can donate one to me and write it off.

Yeah? Yeah?

Andy, the 500 watt halogen that I have has UV blocking glass in it. I would think that would be a hinderance if his has the UV glass.