Gig Posters

Posters: 155619 | Bands: 135529 | Designers: 11506                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default water based inks and opacity

fresh to screen printing. and i have some questions about water based inks, overlays etc.

what are the odds of showing up over each other and how can i best prepare for those effects? (or accidents, let's be honest.) hopefully going to the studio tomorrow night and i have a design with a little bit of overlay. two light colors.

also, in general is there something i can add to ink to dilute color, thin it out, lessen opacity, etc?

i don't really know what i'm doing. i'm a bull in china shop. but it's fun anyway.

Comments

Default Re: water based inks and opacity

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryluna
    fresh to screen printing. and i have some questions about water based inks, overlays etc.

what are the odds of showing up over each other and how can i best prepare for those effects? (or accidents, let's be honest.) hopefully going to the studio tomorrow night and i have a design with a little bit of overlay. two light colors.

also, in general is there something i can add to ink to dilute color, thin it out, lessen opacity, etc?

i don't really know what i'm doing. i'm a bull in china shop. but it's fun anyway.
    different colors have different degrees of transparency. it really just takes some experimenting to find out how different colors effect one-another.

you can mix in transparency base to change the opacity of your colors.

Premium Member

Comments

add water to thin it out.
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

Comments

add base to keep thickness and make it more transparent, water to make it thiner (or use retarder to make it thinner, water is free but not as good)

Premium Member

Comments

transparent base will most likely give you what you want.

Comments

i was thinking water, but wasn't sure if that would jack up the consistency. transparency base can brighten the color too right? or am i smoking crack?

basically i have a limited once-a-week type of access to a local co-op studio and like to be a prepared as possible so's i kin git the most out of my time there. i'm pretty hyped to give the just jump in and experiment methods a try, but with limited time i'm being geeky before arrival.

thanks for the advice so far y'all.

Premium Member

Comments

Transparent base will lighten the color, assuming you are printing on white.
    Too much water will give you "halos"
    Are you using Speedball ink?
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

Comments

if i can get to a supply store, i'd like to print on light brown paper. otherwise it'll have to be white this week. and i'm not sure of the ink brand available where i'm printing. a billion colors in largely unmarked plastic tubs. i'm sure i can ask what brand they've got, though i'd bet it's a myriad of brands.

no matter, really. i can adjust as the prints come out. i just hate to waste ink and time if i mix poorly. odds are i'll err on the side of caution for once though. why do you ask, is speedball particularly sensitive?

Premium Member

Comments

adding water for a good consistency is a good idea, but i think adding water to make colors more transparent will lead to more problems then you are probably ready to deal with. transparent base will lighten up your colors ie red will turn more pinkish. you just sorta have to experiemnt.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by sicknimich
    adding water for a good consistency is a good idea, but i think adding water to make colors more transparent will lead to more problems then you are probably ready to deal with. transparent base will lighten up your colors ie red will turn more pinkish. you just sorta have to experiemnt.
    out of sheer ignorant curiosity: what sorts of problems? and pink is good for what i'm doing next actually. great news.