Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135201 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Not sure if you want to take the trouble of doing this but it would be great to be able to have thumbnails on the designer pages. Perhaps even scrolling TN's like you see for example on the Ames Bros webpage.

Currently, if I click on a designer, you have quite large pictures on their page. If that designer has quite a few posters you end up having to click through many pages.

For designers like Kozik and Arminski with their many many posters you end up with too many pages if you have digitized all their posters (your end goal I assume).

First of you could cram a whole bunch more posters on a page by using TN's. Second, if you then also have the scrolling ability it makes it look quite slick.

I am no expert but in case of Kozik you would end up with too many TN's to load in one shot. In that case you can still resort to various 'chapters' of TN's.

Downside is ofcourse that TN's are hard to see and will give you a splitting migraine. Dunno... think about.

Also on the main page you can have the current TN's scroll to have a few more days of history.

Comments

I think it's fine how it is, personally. I liek that I can see just enough of a poster to know if I want to click to see it larger or not. If there were thumbnails...I'd have to spend more time clicking posters to see if it was a band/art/design I liked coz it would be too small to tell quickly...and since you seem so concerned with getting through the site quickly, I think you'll see my point.

Comments

Fair enough... speed is important to me as it is part of a site being userfriendly. I would hate to have to flip through 247 pages of Kozik posters to find a specific one (this also goes back to somehow giving each poster a code). Turning the pics on the designer page into TN may indeed be too much. However, if you look at the 'new arrivals' it seems to serve it's purpose. Not sure if there is perhaps a slightly bigger version of the standard thumbnail. It also may (not sure) help Clay et all to minimize the dataload on this site.

Comments

If you're looking for a specific poster by someone, just type in the band's name on the poster at the top in the search box...and if you can't remember the band's name...well...just go through the designer's pages, it doens't take that long if you really wanna get to something.

Besides, why rush through the thing? You might skip something you'll end up liking more.

Head Honcho

Comments

Piemel,

Thanks again for your input

Gigposters.com used to show all the thumbnails on one page for each designer or band. As the site grew, we ended up with certain pages taking forever to load... so I 'fixed' this by adding paging. This way it loads up quicker.

As far as size of thumbnails go.. I did lots of research and testing when first designing the site. I found that if they were any smaller than 200 pixels, they are almost useless. You can't make out any large text or clearly see the imagery. I am very happy with the size of the thumbnails, and that will not be changing.

Remember - not all visitors coming to this site are here to see art. Many are here to find collectibles for bands that they like.

The only exception to this thumbnail size is on the front page - to save space and give a brief overview of what is new. As you can see on the front page - you can't tell anything about the posters at that size.

I hope this helps clarify...

Comments

He Clay, thx for explaining the TN deal.

Sorry for being a royal pain in yo ass

piemel