Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135966 | Designers: 11548                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default waster-based ink on t-shirts cracking?

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem. I'm wondering if I actually did forget to heat-set the shirt or what, but after I washed it the inks "cracked". I printed 3 colors, a double hit of white to get the base nice and opaque, then the orange, then the black. Here is a pic of the finished one, i'll post a pic of the "cracked" ink when I get home.

I'm not sure if this is a common thing with water-based inks or perhaps because there were so many layers of ink on the shirt, or maybe something else....

Comments

Are you heat curing these? With plastisol inks, cracks mean it's not fully cured. Sounds like you have lots of ink down. If it's a heat set ink like the speedball stuff, be sure you iron or heat-press the shit out of it.

yeah, i think i forgot to heat set it, and I am using speedball inks (no room/money for plastisol, just doing this as a hobby).

Its not that bad i guess, i has been through the wash probably like 20 times.

Default tip..

Buy a heat gun and use that to cure it between coats then your gonna wanna set in your oven on broil, leave the door open a bit and let it cure in there for about 45 sec. Then when its done, let it cool a bit then iron it and the ink should turn rubbery. Ironing makes it so the shirt wont fade and it definetly wont crack on you.

happy screening