Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11482                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default printing on canvas

Hi all,

I'm trying to print on unstreched gessoed canvas and for some reason not enough ink goes on it, it seem to print only on the "peaks" of the canvas. What could be the cause? I get an OK print when I pass several times over but the ink then smudges so I lose a lot of details and it becomes too dark.

Could my mesh, at 245, be too dense?

I use TW5102 waterbase clear base with some TW5018 Black in it. I was planning to use the same mix in layers so it would get darker and darker each time...

What do you people think?

Comments

i always shoved a piece of cardboard between the canvas and the wooden cross bar things to flatten it out and give it some support, then flooded the screen and went fairly slowly.with the squeegee

Comments

Fast reply! Just as I like them! Thanks!

But what do you mean by "the wooden cross bar things" ? The squeegee?

Thanks

Premium Member

Comments

If you have a coarser screen use it. 200. 160 if there is no detail or halftones.
    make sure the screen is well tensioned
    makes sure the canvas has a tighter weave
    TW WB ink works good. I've used solvent based MP, and satin poster.
    Round your squeegee a bit, or flop it over more than normal (you risk bleeding, but you can get it on one stroke)
    if the ink is transparent, you are going to see the tops and the valleys on the fabric because the trasparent ink pools and gets darker in the troughs between the weave in the canvas. Opaque works best.

You said unstretched? D.D. was talking about the stretcher bars on a mounted canvas I think.

canvas on the backer boards works good.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Thanks Andymac, I will try the above. I'll go opaque but I will have to go house paint 'cause I don't have TW white ink... And 245 mesh is all I have so I guess I'll have to go real slow when squeegeein'...

Also, what is backer borad? Sorry for the maybe dumb questions, I'm fairly new to art printing. I use to do very basic t-shirts but that's all. I'm learning all this as I go, setting up in my small 3 rooms flat, hoping I can reach a tight deadline...

Anyhow, thanks for the tips! I'll be back for more...

Premium Member

Comments

I don't know what the proper name is but the boards that have the canvas glued to them. easier to register than a sheet of floppy canvas.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

oooolllldddd thread bump!

i have someone asking about canvas printing, and that isn't my usual thing. the answers above seem like a good starting point, but here are some more questions:

- does it always have to be gesso'd first?
    - should the ink be a different consistency than what would normally work for poster (uncoated paper) printing?
    - am i asking for trouble with a 300 mesh screen? i'm worried to go lower because the artwork involves small-ish text.
    - anyone have a good online source for canvas? (mounted or unmounted...not sure what the client wants yet.)

thanks dudes.

Comments

We primed the canvas... cotton duck , then held it down tight over a table while someone put the screen on top. it's 4 X6 feet. we used nazdar 9700 . sometimes it had to be hit twice

Comments

sorry for this maybe-stupid question, but by "primed" do you mean that you gessoed it? i've never even painted on a canvas before in my life, let alone printing, so this is all super new to me.

do you think a WB ink like nazdar 2700 would work? i need to keep it non-deadly in my small space.
    Last edited by ohdanielsan; 05-19-2010 at 01:09 PM.