Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135201 | Designers: 11480                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Comments

Default Emulsion Washout! WTF

Since I moved back home after school I have NOT been happy with a single screen. It's like I am walking a tightrope when I am rinsing the emulsion after exposure. Here are some specs so SOMEONE can hopefully help right this issue:

Emulsion : Chromaline UDC-2 (only about 2 1/2 weeks old)
    Screen : 23x31
    Mesh : 230ct. Yellow
    Exposure Unit : 1 - 500w Halogen Flood Light, 38" above screen.

I have been trying exposures everywhere from 15 minutes to 35 minutes. This last time just a couple minutes ago I let the fucker sit for 40 minutes solid. I go to rinse using the lightest spray the garden hose can do. almost like nothing the image begins appearing, but then blows out ridiculously. Halftones become solids and the thing is useless. By the way, I let the coated screens dry in the dark usually overnight with a heat fan on them the entire time.

I try not to act desperate or retarded around here but frankly I have no idea what I am doing wrong here. I read about guys like Ed Gossage pulling 45 second exposure times, and the fancy machine at work runs flawless in 2 minutes, but GOOD GOD 35 minutes and still washout!?

Help please! I just threw another screen under the lamps at 8:50, going for 45 minutes with my fingers crossed. I'm getting cranky.

I think that halogen is what is doing you in. Invest in a metal halide light 1000 w minimum. Around $200. I expose my screens for about 8 minutes and get perfect screens every time.

Comments

i use an array of 10 4ft t12 blacklight fourescents and burn in 30 seconds. good light source is necessary

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Michael M. Motorcycle
    I think that halogen is what is doing you in. Invest in a metal halide light 1000 w minimum. Around $200. I expose my screens for about 8 minutes and get perfect screens every time.
    Where can I pick something like that up?

There are several hydroponic businesses on the web that sell them. I live in Pasadena and there are a lot of old hippies here so there is a hydroponics store right down the street from me. Just look up hydroponics, and metal halide on google.
    You have to buy the balast and the fixture. It shouldn't run over $250. I hang mine from the ceiling in my basement about 4 ft off the ground and expose my screens on the ground. I use t shirt spray mount to affix my film. Perfect every time unless I do something lame and obvious like trying to use old emulsion.

Comments

I always hear people burning their screens with the sun and swearing by it.

Who does that? What's the secret? Does it have to be a very sunny day or will any sun do?

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Beau
    I always hear people burning their screens with the sun and swearing by it.

Who does that? What's the secret? Does it have to be a very sunny day or will any sun do?
    here comes andy......... there are several threads with his crazy setup, i say you just search the forums

Comments

i swear by the Cross method.

Comments

I did have great luck with the sun while I was at school; however, now that I'm a workin' man, it is dark by the time I get home and there's no way I can burn a screen in the middle of the day besides weekends.

Ed, what setup are you referring to? EDIT: Just checked your site, and the link to your exposure setup is down. Any chance you could help out?