Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135803 | Designers: 11530                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Flatstock - One locals view

I got this letter this AM from a good customer in the SF area. Thought some of you might like to read it as it is from somewhat of an an uninfluenced third party and collector. This is just pasted in as I got it and an answer to the question "Did you go to the Flatstock? If so, tell me about it":

Yeah I did. I had my wife's parents in town though so I couldn't get there until Sunday. I didn't have a lot of time. I was lucky to get out at all. The palce is actually right down the hill from my house which made it nice. It was cool. Not too many people there when I was. The weather was pretty good this weekend so I guess that makes a difference. They didn't have a lot of room to display their shit so you had to flip through piles of stuff which made it a bit a of a pain in the ass for me due to the time constraints. Most of them wanted only cash which again limted me from buying and them from selling. It seemed like the usual S.F. crowd of misguided youth that is really more conformist than the people they hate. Plus, they don't have any money to buy shit, so the artists were probably a little pissed about the turnout. I don't think it was advertised very well. I didn't see anything in the Chronicle about it. You are the reason I found out about it. Thanks. If I did have the in-laws to deal with I probably would have gone back later in the day and tried to cut some deals.

So, the person I wanted to see most was Kozik. He had some stuff at his table just kind of spread out. Not a great selction. I wasn't sure if there had been more the day before from him or not??? Anyway he was busy talking to some dumb chick who wasn't even good looking bugging him about wanting to take his picture while he was mounted on an old sting ray bike. He didn't want to. Whatever.

So I grabbed 3 big 24 X 36's. He said he would take a check so I wrote him a check for $100.00.

They were all AP # 30 / 50. Kind of weird they were all # 30? Pictures of two are enclosed. I really haven't seen the other one before. It might be kind of rare. It's kind of cool. All Three are in Mint condition. Pictures of two are enclosed. I will try to take a picture of the unknown third if you want? Pretty good for 100 bucks! I should have gotten more. I really didn't know what kind of number he was gonna throw out at me though.

I also got one poster from another guy. I could send the details later.

Last there is a guy Paul Imagine out of Sacramento who is cool and I really like his stuff. I first me him at the Poster thing up at the winery were they had Lee Conklin and old Fillmore guys. I bought a bunch more of his stuff. Check it out. Pretty cool stuff. http://www.insurgentarts.com/posters.html

So, that's the story. If you want to know more give me a call.

Comments

Default Re: Flatstock - One locals view

Quote Originally Posted by John A

Last there is a guy Paul Imagine out of Sacramento who is cool and I really like his stuff. I first me him at the Poster thing up at the winery were they had Lee Conklin and old Fillmore guys. I bought a bunch more of his stuff. Check it out. Pretty cool stuff. http://www.insurgentarts.com/posters.html
    This is the guy I couldn't remeber his name! He hand paints his ink on every screen for every sheet. Go check out his site. His stuff rules.

the rest is good info...

Premium Member

Comments

yeah that guy's stuff rocked.........he and Eve were super cool!
    He is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong.

My Posters
    BlackheartStudios

Comments

to address the guys questions and grievances:

1. Cellspace was a little small. but hte next largest available spot wanted 8 thousand dollares per day. Not realistic.
    2. We did get blurbs in all the bay area papers. It would have been nice to run ads, but that would have cost 4 grand or so, again not realistic. I sent out over 60 press kits to every local media outlet and every single poster sent in was posted in the 'hip' parts of town. Gigart got us radio action etc. I think it was actually like adverted 'ok' considering the 'no money' angle.

3. They where all #30 because I essentially opened an AP set and sold it piecemeal, cause I was bored. I refrained from having a huge display because

1. I wanted the event to be about YOU not me...

and 2

I'm fucking lazy..

Comments

but sexy as hell.....

Comments

Imagine rocked

The guy had an interesting view of FS1. All of us were just happy as clams and good vibes all around. However FS2 is going to be a different ballgame. I am not saying that y'all should loose the fun and games that went on during FS1 but a more clean and organised approach will help to focus on the industry and media foks that will be at SxSw. However, only if that is what the intention of FS2 will be.

I think catalogs will be key. For the collectors to browse and hence purchase quicker & more, and for the industry and media as a portfolio.

Comments

catalogues are smart. We had a low rent flip book because our original portfolio idea would have taken up way too much space. People didn't realize they should be looking through them. Kleinsmith's books ruled. I'd bring plenty of "display" copies and either a pile to sell or give away. The intent for FS2 is to still have fun but really thrust everyone's collective skills into the crowd that will pay you for them not your posters. One corporate job will pay you more than all the posters you could possibly sell at FS2. Make those connections. Do it by putting a spotlight on your talents with tons of flashy FREE work. Remember spend money to make money. We all have a few months to polish our presentations start working on it now.

Charlie can polish his knob

Premium Member

Comments

Next time I'm hiring an auto show spokesmodel to do my presentation. I'll just hide behind a curtain while she displays my posters on a rotating platform.

Comments

i'm buying a latex devil girl costume and red patent leather spiked heels.
    as well as tits.

Comments

Where do you purchase your tits? I used to get mine through mail-order, until the whole flat-chested craze caught on. I prefer to be au natural these days, maybe I'll hawk my posters in the nude!

All this serious talk about Flatstock2 is starting to scare me.