Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135183 | Designers: 11479                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Thread: Site suggestion

Default Site suggestion

Since the new classifieds section has been added to the page a lot of screen real estate has been eaten up by images, which is fine because there really isn't any other place to fit anything. The problem is that it has taken up all of the space for text.

What would be nice (and pretty easy to do) is to add some multiline tooltips with basic information about the image under the mouse pointer...

An example: (note: not pandering to MMM, it was the image that was there when I loaded up the page)

Head Honcho

Comments

Default Re: Site suggestion

Yeah .. I thought about that too .. only issue here is that means more database queries on the front page. Its a pretty complex page as it is .. and adding more queries means more load.

BUT .. I'm not saying no. I'll have to do some testing to see the overall impact.

Tooltips can also get annoying when everything you mouse over pops up that little box. I might try to find a better way.
    *PLEASE DO NOT PM ME WITH SUPPORT REQUESTS - CLICK THE CONTACT LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE*

Head Honcho

Comments

One thing everyone should remember about the "white space" is:

MOST PEOPLE SEE THE SITE THIS WAY:

SOME OF US HAVE A HIGHER RESOLUTION:

MY POINT IS:

This site is optimized for 800x600 .. and white space will appear at higher resolutions.
    *PLEASE DO NOT PM ME WITH SUPPORT REQUESTS - CLICK THE CONTACT LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE*

Comments

Hi Clay,

Just had an idea for the classifieds / is it ok to talk about them on forums hoo-ha, and wondered if it would work to have a 'comments' section on the ads themselves, like has always been on the posters? Haven't thought it through completely, could be open for abuse, but isn't everything.

So basically, when you click on an ad, there's a 'comments' section of somekind.

Yea or nay?

Premium Member

Comments

I like the new classifides section, but I have a problem keeping stuff straight. Is it possible to add a way to sort them? I would like to look at them by the date the ad is posted, but somebody else might want it by artist, or some other datapoint. I'm finding it hard to simply pop them up and look at what's new for the day.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by mkgaughan
    I like the new classifides section, but I have a problem keeping stuff straight. Is it possible to add a way to sort them? I would like to look at them by the date the ad is posted, but somebody else might want it by artist, or some other datapoint. I'm finding it hard to simply pop them up and look at what's new for the day.
    Clay, i'd like to suggest having the seller's listings sortable as well.
    like in the forums where people have their links to their ads, have the link be the sellers name on each individual ad.

Head Honcho

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by ColinG
    Hi Clay,

Just had an idea for the classifieds / is it ok to talk about them on forums hoo-ha, and wondered if it would work to have a 'comments' section on the ads themselves, like has always been on the posters? Haven't thought it through completely, could be open for abuse, but isn't everything.

So basically, when you click on an ad, there's a 'comments' section of somekind.

Yea or nay?
    Nay .. I see no positive use for this, as ads are temporary, and are deleted and change all the time.

Head Honcho

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by mkgaughan
    The default view for the classifieds is sorted by date. The newest are at the top.

I will add other sort methods in the future.

Comments

Hey Clay:
    I just wanted to jump right out there and say you are sure doing a swell job.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by POE
    Hey Clay:
    I just wanted to jump right out there and say you are sure doing a swell job.
    I'd like to second that...