Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135328 | Designers: 11495                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default question about screenprinting dithers

is there anything I should know about screenprinting a dither? I'm talking about printing things like faces and stuff and whether the detail will come through when you're burning the screens.

I'm also thinking about kozik's green lady and sharon tate prints and what those were saved as for screenprinting. I've never seen the real ones so I can't tell.

thanks.
    API ARTIST #217
    my posters

Comments

those where not done or re-done digitally.

stat camera with mezzotint polarizing mesh filter from a 8 x 10 glossy for the Tate.

Premium Member

Comments

oh ok, thanks.
    API ARTIST #217
    my posters

Premium Member

Comments

as long as they're hi-rez (300+) you can pretty much pull off anything.

just make sure they are high enough resolution because when that shit starts thinning out good luck getting a clean stencil.

I just discovered this shit a little while ago and it's done a world of good for me.

thanks, diesel

Premium Member

Comments

When printing a dithered or stochastic dot, a couple of things...

1. Try some tests. Outputs expressed in DPI don't translate to halftone screens. You need to be concerned with the size of the dot as it is always the same. Pick the smallest dot you can expose without losing detail. If it is too small, it will close in on the light areas, and blob on the dark where there is a concentration.

2. Contrary to myth, a random dot will produce moire. Avoid evenly divisable DPI to mesh count situations. Example 100 DPI on a 200 mesh screen. 150 on 300 mesh. Choose odd numbers...I used 157 DPI for a bunch of prints I did, it worked great on 280 mesh but had banding and moire on 305 (157 although not exactly divisable to 305 was close enough to cause probs)

3. When possible, use quality film posi's...like vataugh sez, high rez output will give the edge of the dot definition. If you use cheap film with lower rez, the dot lacks both definition and opacitiy. Output film from a 2400 dpi image setter is going to develop and print way better than some vellum from kinkos.

4. Sharp and nick-free squeegee, high mesh count, and quality photostencil material will give you your best shot at a nice looking print.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.