Gig Posters

Posters: 155569 | Bands: 135488 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default argh! help with exposure time , anyone?

Hey folks,
    so, my friend and i are trying to print up some t-shirts, and this is the first time we've messed around with screenprinting via emulsion rather than just making a stencil... we've almost got it working, can see the image, but then everything blows out as we wash out the emulsion... i think the problem is we're not exposing it to the light long enough, possibly it wasn't as dry as we though it was, too... so, we're leaving it to dry overnight (getting late for continuing the process anyway), but how long should we expose the sucker?
    we're doing this on a total zero budget, so we're using 2 100 watt bulbs, do we need to bite the bullet and buy some bigger lights? or hold the things there for eternity, or what? the emulsion we're using is Autotype Plus 7000, if that helps....

so close! but yet so far! any help would be super wicked, thanks,

will.

*edit*,.. .we're thinking about just using the sun....

That should take 4-5 days tops to expose. You need way more juice than that. Get some 1000 watt bulbs man.

Comments

thanks, that was kinda the feeling i was starting to get going through old threads ... d'oh! damn learning curves. tomorrow is supposed to be nice, so, i think we're going to use the sun. but, for the future, like, the six months of rain we're about to get, well... we'll have jobs by then, so we'll be able to afford serious grow op quality lightbulbs .

so, fact that it went all green and gooey and strange, is just because it was under (un) exposed, right? and i could see the skull and the bike coming through at first, what a tease.

w.

The sunlight should work just fine. Good Luck!

Comments

No one can tell you how long to expose, because it depends on the emulsion, mesh, bulb type, distance from bulbs, etc etc.

Look up Step Test. exposure step test, or wedge step test. That gets you in the ballpark if you have a permanent set up.

http://www.lawsonsp.com/exposuretest.php

http://www.gigposters.com/phpBB/view...ight=step+test

Comments

thanks,... yeah, i think we were just kinda confused, the info / instructions with the stuff we had was really vague as far as what bulb type and distance, and time... and, we're kinda excited and hard-headed, like, "lets just go for it!"... so it takes us ten times as long as it should, cuz we screw it up all to hell in a million different ways... but we're getting there. and once we DO finally get it right, we'll know all the ways NOT to do it... probably in detail
    the step test seems like a very good idea, especially once we get some proper bulbs... i'm feeling good about the sun being on our side for now...

Premium Member

Comments

If it's sunny on Friday, and you coated it 2 on 2 with a coater nice(it's not all globbed) go with about one minute 40 seconds on yellow mesh, about 60 seconds on white mesh.

if it is overcast or cloudy, go about 3x these times. (this is the tricky part, you're better to wait for the sun)

This works up in Comox on autotype 8000. I don't know 7000, what's the story with it? (high speed, dual cure, WB, ?)
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

autotype plus 7000, according to the bucket, is "High Quality Dual Cure Emulsion \ Water and Solvent Resistant"

Comments

hey look, its ryan! the brains of the operation

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Swill
    ....and i could see the skull and the bike coming through at first, what a tease.

w.
    Screenprinting's a bit of a painted whore sometimes, giving you the big come-on like things are lovey-dovey and you'll be together forever in sweet printmaking bliss, then standing you up at the alter.

Or in this case, the washout sink.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.