Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135201 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default You never forget your first time....

Your first time screenprinting of course! Duh! What'd you think?

I just finished reading the thread about Seripop's peril and it really bummed me out. I thought this might lighten the mood a little.

I printed my first posters last week. It was so exciting. I printed 100 red and black posters for an indy film and 100 pink/white/black posters for a film fest. I would have never been able to screenprint had it not been for the help that I got through this website. A few names come to mind. Tons of people sent me emails about how they got started but I was in correspondance with Leia Bell, Andrew Vastagh and Chloe from Seripop. Thank you so much. You've all been a huge source of information and wisdom/experience.

So I thought I'd start a thread about our first times. Ahhh the memories.

Here's my story in a nutshell: I met the filmmaker when his band played at my dorm. In the course of 8 days, I showed him the prelim designs and printed 200 posters. He had a really short time line since the festival was so soon. I didn't want to pass up this chance to get going so I said I could do it. Remember that I had never screenprinted. Those 8 days were insane. Every day I was doing the designs, coating the screens, exposing the screens, reclaiming the screens that didn't work, and pulling ink...all out of my dorm room. The dorm shower is not a great place to wash your screens. I'm an RA in the dorm, and my residents were really interested in this crazy thing called "screenprinting" so they helped with the whole process. Now, they're all experts. I gave them some posters for their help. That's my story. It was crazy. Everything took way too long since I did everything by hand. I don't really have the computer skills yet so...

I'm attatching my pictures of the posters. I'd love some feedback. The pink/white/black poster is a little sloppy I think. I did all of it in such a hurry to meet the deadline.

If you have time, post your story. Thanks everyone,

Beau

Oh, I just remembered. If you look at this picture, the R of voyeur is missing. I wanted to cry. When I exposed the screen, I had the screen scooted over just enough to cut out the R. So I had to create a stencil and sponge on 100 Rs. That was a small setback. This is a photo before the Rs were added.

Comments

Here's my other first poster. This is for a film fest next Monday.

This photo cut off some of the bottom where the sponsors logos are.

Please don't say "That sucks." I did this one really quickly (see above).

Beau

My first screen print was in highschool art class...

I cut out of rubylith a Marijuana leaf that looked like the old Adidas logo, and screen printed it on the inside of a ton of yearbooks...

I still got the original print.

I also got in shit from the year book teacher.. as it was done witho out her knowledge in random books!

Stickit to the man!

Premium Member

Comments

First screen print. High School. 1989. Cut some ruby for a 3-color t-shirt.
    "no one best touch my Benz or capriz, lest they want a foo in dey azz" -Merf
    "pancakes sound dope." -Peveto

"Jesus pancakes sound dope." -Peveto 2010
    "i'm dropping like mad, yo." -Jay Ryan
    "Any halftizzles up in yo shizzle? You've got moizizzle." -RichieGoodtimes
    "bdix - 5 stars" -Poguemahone
    "hail the mighty bacon." -Farley
    "them's some sweet socks" -Fruitstripe Peveto
    "not with you the force is" - Ferg

posters
    twitter
    twitter KLCTVEfusion
    facebook
    d
    ribble

Comments

sometime in '84 screening some punk rock thing on the back of my military jacket. I think it was the VOID logo.

Premium Member

Comments
    +++++ POWERSLIDE DESIGN CO. +++++ facebook +++++ aka: mike klay

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by andydiesel
    sometime in '84 screening some punk rock thing on the back of my military jacket. I think it was the VOID logo.
    you are my god

Comments

remember the first time a job came out so fucked up you kicked over the full drying racks while everything was still wet?

Comments

it was a fugazi patch, and it had a picture of an airplane. i also printed it on a camo shirt i had.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by andydiesel
    that is rad i love printing!!! void rules!!! i had a lame ass roommate that would turn void up real loud so know one could hear him jerk off!!! he is a pig fucker but screen printing is not! i love it! the first time i ever did it was helping a friend make his bands shirts with a squeegee he stole from the gas station(a fucking window squeegee). but the first thing i made was a paper stencil of uniform choice.