Gig Posters

Posters: 152981 | Bands: 133625 | Designers: 11366                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Inconsistent black field

Hi everyone!

I'm new around here, and need a bit of advice. First off, a little intro: My name's Mike, I'm a 22-year old recent Graphic Design graduate. Working a lame design job at a sign shop currently, but I am hoping to hook myself up with a studio soon, preferably one that deals a lot with poster design (surprise, eh?).

Anywho, the issue at hand. I have been screenprinting for a couple years now, and have never encountered this one before. I'm working on fully screenprinted promo books to send to studios, and on the cover there's a good bit of pure black. Prior to this I had to lay down a field of white, which went down evenly and cleanly. When I screened the black, though, it seemed as though the paper lifted with the screen a bit in some spots, leaving a kind of weird inconsistency. I was curious what caused this, and what I can do in the future to avoid it?

Below is a quick 'n' dirty scan of one of the more prominent examples of what I'm talking about:

If it helps, I was printing on brown Kraft paper with Speedball Acrylic black. Thanks in advance,

Mike Salkewicz
    typhoon@loadmail.com
    aim dyslocosaurus

Comments

You need more off contact. Not enough snap in your screen.

Comments

with the black ink, you are printing on top of ink, not paper. the white soaked into the paper a bit, it didn't just sit on it. for the most part, your black ink is just sitting on top of the white, rather than soaking in. this causes the surface to be wetter when you lift the screen, leading to the sticking. more off-contact will help. also, printing on a vacuum table, if you have access, will make this never happen (or so i hear ... i've never used one myself). you can also try a dab of spray adhesive on your table, but this can lead to a bit of stickiness on the backs of some of your prints.

-casey

Comments

Thanks, Ryan and Casey. That's definitely the issue, for sure. I'm by no means a professional printer, and have no one in the biz to really learn from, so I still experiment with techniques on my grassroots-type setup. In this case, I didn't have the paper cut square, since I had figured I'd be cutting it down based on board size for the hard cover later on. As you can imagine. it made registering a five color print nightmarish, so for the black I was fed up and started taping the paper to the screen to guarantee tight registration.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some. Thanks a million though...

Mike